Royal Mail, Great Work Boys

Pete S

I sent one 1st class signed for to Droitwich  on the 3rd of July and its still  "Being processed through our network for delivery" 

Which means they`ve lost it.  :wave:  :dash2:

Social source share

Given that record is vinyl and not Styrene, that must really take some doing!

and in a proper mailer with three pieces of card.  How come these mugs who send a record with no packing get them through safely and I take precautions and this happens...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm amazed that hasn't happened to me as I called them all "Robbing C**ts" when they charged me £8 handling fee on top of customs charges.  They don't seem to have the same respect for their job that they used to, and it's not as if they work hard, they seem to drive everywhere now.

Social source share

Every time I go to post a record at my local P.O. they tell me that because it's a record they will not pay out compensation if it gets damaged - even if I have paid for compensation (say value of £500).

They gave me a leaflet saying it was all in there about records, but I could not find records specified as an exception.

I think they are talking out of their ar*se  :yes:

Am I right though?

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

That sort of brings new meaning to "breaking records on the scene.........."

If there is a bright side to this heinous crime then for the grace of god it could of been a Frank Wilson or similar holy grail!,

Feel for ya Pete cos of the sodding paperwork you have to go through just to prove its their effin fault. Had it happen once only to me and thankfully at the time our postie was used to records coming so when he was sorting the mail and noticed it somewhat bend he brought out a compo form.........now that's service mate.

Dave

Social source share

Atrocious.

Not sure about anyone else but we have a different postie everyday, turning up anywhere between 10am and 4pm.

It used to be that you could establish a good relationship with the postie (thereby hopefully ensuring this sort of crap was avoided).

Those days I fear, are long gone.

It's just a big gamble now.

Jim.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Yes Jim, I agree. Thats privatisation for you. Its supposed to give us more choice ,but,in reality, it just limits us even more. Its funny to think that just a few years back we had two deliveries every day yet now,who knows what we get. My posties were always great and we had about 3 regulars over the space of about 25 years ! Its changed now though,different one every day. I always gave the postie a Christmas tip because they were always so helpful,it just seemed right. Which isn't to say they're not helpful now,but because of the transient nature of their jobs you never get to build a working relationship with them. The privatisation of Royal Mail has been a carve-up of Royal proportions. Under valued by billions, its a sorry state of affairs. Any workers who voted for Privatisation are like Turkeys voting for Christmas :)

I wonder if they tried to fold the record in half or it just got crushed ? Rotten luck either way,hope it was covered…..

Best, Ivor

Social source share

to be fair , I'm pretty lucky as the Post Office in town (Louth) even send my records up to work ( one of our secretary's call in every morning to pick up our mail) and even if it's addressed to my house they will give it to her to give me at work, I've even got home and gone in the front room to find a package on the floor because postie has put it through the top window as our letterbox is too small. 

Social source share

to be fair , I'm pretty lucky as the Post Office in town (Louth) even send my records up to work ( one of our secretary's call in every morning to pick up our mail) and even if it's addressed to my house they will give it to her to give me at work, I've even got home and gone in the front room to find a package on the floor because postie has put it through the top window as our letterbox is too small. 

Oooo! isn't that lovely

Social source share

i had one like this mailer 4 pieces of card something went clean through it po said should have had bubble rap as well . my post man and lady no i have records so look after them for me leave them in the secret place brilliant record

Social source share

So what do you do now? Can you claim anything from them?

It was sent insured but they will say that the mailer and cardboard should have been inside a jiffy bag (which would have given no extra protection) and they always have you on that technicality, I'll be lucky if I get £50 back but I already promised to give the buyer a full refund before they compensate me.

Social source share

It was sent insured but they will say that the mailer and cardboard should have been inside a jiffy bag (which would have given no extra protection) and they always have you on that technicality, I'll be lucky if I get £50 back but I already promised to give the buyer a full refund before they compensate me.

Sounds crap mate, sorry to hear that. Like someone said, that's been well and truly snapped, not just dropped. You can tell by the marks on the cover (I'm sure you don't need me to tell you this)

Social source share

The crease in the cardboard sleeve suggests the packet has been bent by about 90 degrees. Under normal circumstances, no mail would be subject to this sort of force. The damage has been done deliberately but not necessarily by your postie but some rogue in a sorting office someplace. Hope you can get compensation ...

Social source share

My previous postman was a top bloke, if nobody was in he would just leave them in my blue recycle bin to save me the hassle of trailing down town to the post office. Cue last summer holidays and being abroad, he left a few records in the bin as usual........

What I was'nt counting on was my new neighbours doing the neighbourly thing and putting my blue bin out for collection !!!!!!!

I had to fight back the tears upon my return and thank them for it!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Our postie used to be a collector and always knocked and hand the records over but we seem to get different ones now who just don't give a f*ck.  Hope I'm not in the house and he or she posts a 45 through the letter box!

Chalky where they suppose to post them?

Social source share

Chalky where they suppose to post them?

I wouldn't have thought when a package says fragile on it in big letters you don't drop through a hole 4 feet off the ground?  They could try knocking on the door first?  I think the point is they simply don't seem to care these days.

Social source share

I wouldn't have thought when a package says fragile on it in big letters you don't drop through a hole 4 feet off the ground?  They could try knocking on the door first?  I think the point is they simply don't seem to care these days.

I know what you mean but in reality they just going to post them through the letterbox which I think is fine.

If they are packed OK no harm will be done.

Social source share

chalky , try getting one of those doors with a letter box 6" from the floor  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Just recently our postie has taken to putting records through any open window he can find. Doesn't bother ringing the bell when it won't go through the letterbox, just chucks it through the window. I was sitting at the puter a few weeks ago, and I heard an almighty slap, the dog started barking, I wondered what the hell it was. carried on thinking it might have been a door slamming maybe, then got up half an hour later to find a 12" album mailer on the floor below the lounge window. Thank heavens the record wasn't broken or there will have been hell to pay. By the time I had found the record the postie was well gone. Next time he had done the same in the conservatory window. Hope I catch him, I'll have words I can tell you.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Just got this back from a customer -- as you can see, child's board book -- thick cardboard pages -- in cardboard mailer -- I've just tried bending it myself and had to press down hard on my desk and exert a fair amount of effort so there's no way this happened accidentally!!!  Royal Mail get a clue!!!

post-1448-0-00830000-1408093478_thumb.jp

post-1448-0-88309400-1408093479_thumb.jp

Social source share

posted a 45 other day at a different p.o, the clerk stuck the stamp on, twisted his head round and lobbed the packet over his shoulder,it bounced off the wall and it dropped in the sack below,..i was bewildered, and speechless for a moment, was gonna give him a gob full, but thought better of it, otherwise he,d have diffinately of put a size 10 on it when i left the shop...wont be going back there in a hurry

Social source share

Same in perth, aussie, ar kid, lazy twats drive motor bikes [small fluckers] & leave em next to the mail box even if it's hot as bollox 100 degrees!!

Just got this back from a customer -- as you can see, child's board book -- thick cardboard pages -- in cardboard mailer -- I've just tried bending it myself and had to press down hard on my desk and exert a fair amount of effort so there's no way this happened accidentally!!!  Royal Mail get a clue!!!

attachicon.gifIMG_0086.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0087.JPG

Social source share

Every time I go to post a record at my local P.O. they tell me that because it's a record they will not pay out compensation if it gets damaged - even if I have paid for compensation (say value of £500).

They gave me a leaflet saying it was all in there about records, but I could not find records specified as an exception.

I think they are talking out of their ar*se  :yes:

Am I right though?

Cheers

Richard

I'm regularly asked at my post office what the package contains, and they've never mentioned that records are exempt from their £500 insurance cover. In fact, they've recommended it. How confusing is that?

Social source share

Hells Bells Pete that's horrendous at say the least. I can't tell you how excessively livid I'd be if that happened to me.

I'd have probably stomped up to my local Post Office and dragged some poor innocent over the counter.

More than likely I'd have been on a murder charge by now.

Having said that overall I think our Royal Mail is pretty damn good compare it to the problems when posting to other countries like Italy, Russia etc.

I've never had anything go astray to either of these countries though it appears many do.

More than likely due to the fact I only send a couple of items per year to these places.

In 30+ years I can probably count the number of records lost in the post on one hand but I'm no big mailer. Guess it's a bit of a numbers game percentage wise the professional big boys mail out tons of records so consequently they'll unfortunately have more incidents of stuff going missing.

Remember talking to a bloke once who was a one man business and he told me at his peak he was mailing out 30 records a day. I was amazed, shocked and gasped out aloud.

When I was on a lot of mailing lists many years ago stuff was dropping through the door on virtually a daily basis and one bit of major slackness by our Postal service sticks distinctly in my mind. I'd be sent a promo of that "Trippin on your love" compilation album, the one that features the awesome Staple Singers album cut of the same name. Anyway think it was a Tuesday night, pretty late and I'd scuttled outside to bring my washing in as it was starting to rain.

Luckily I like carrots and even in the dark I can spot a record mailer even at distance when I see one. It was tucked away on the floor under a bush in the corner of my small but compact garden. Said mailer was soaking wet through as it had been raining on and off for the last couple of days and I could just make out Saturday's date scribbled on the front. I could feel my anger rising as I started opening the package and when I saw the album that was it the fire alarm went off in mi head. Everything was soaked right through the vinyl dried off no problem but the outer sleeve suffered really badly. Still got the album somewhere upstairs.

Bear in mind that album was a freebie and when I was younger I had a much more of a flashpoint temper so it probably worked out best for me that I didn't see my postie for several days after - by then I was Mister Calm, Cool and Collected. I said nothing as you'll never know who delivered it and for whatever reason didn't knock on the door or put a card through the letterbox. They probably thought they were being helpful by leaving it propped up against the front door but the wind and rain had other ideas.

Derek

And don't get me started on what is still a major red rag to me - items that are sent recorded or whatever and just get simply pushed through the letterbox.

Social source share

As long as we're all trashing the Royal Mail, let me just say one good thing about the United States Postal Service (and no, I'm not just saying this because I'm American!) -- check out this email I just got from them:

I am a Nixie Clerk at the Springfield MA Post Office of the United States Postal Service. I have a book that became separated from its packaging. The book is undamaged and has an invoice with it but no address. If you are able to furnish the address of delivery I will forward it on to customer.                              The book is “The Europe Book”.

Customer name is XXXXX  XXXXX.

Order #  1209936.

Order date 8/1/2014.  

Thank You,  Mark Bellucci

Review  Clerk

U.S.P.S. 

Thank you Mark for caring and for doing a great job!!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!