Larry Clinton "She's Wanted" ISSUE on JM Auction

Jim G

How long since this (the same one I believe) was last on there, doesn't seem like that long ago although time does play those tricks as we age. I was thinking, all be it a risk, could be worth thinking rather than imagining owning until you die, imagine owning for 2 years and sending it back to John to auction. Speculating on the market of big ticket NS originals? Could have it's own section in the Financial Times, Clinton Up, Wilson down , buy Clinton?

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest chorleybloke
36 minutes ago, Chris L said:

IS it the same one from a couple of years ago ? Was it a seller living in Australia ?

Correct Chris and it's the same as the one on Popsike sold to an Australian buyer in May 2010 for USD6767.  Not me unfortunately:ohmy:

Social source share

4 hours ago, chalky said:

Kev Murphy had the other. All issue copies destroyed bar three according to Eddie Holman. After LC died before its release. 

LC died before it's release?   Is there any provenance for that info Chalky?  I spoke to the producers at length and that info was never offered up? Pretty sure LC had release (s) after this too? 

regards,

Dave

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Dave Moore said:

LC died before it's release?   Is there any provenance for that info Chalky?  I spoke to the producers at length and that info was never offered up? Pretty sure LC had release (s) after this too? 

regards,

Dave

I could well be wrong with died bit but something happened and all copies destroyed bar the three file copies.  There is a previous topic somewhere on here where Andy Dyson tells what Eddie said, think it was to Kev when Kev showed him the issue.

As for the third copy not sure it ever turned up.

Social source share

1 minute ago, chris anderton said:

I was offered a red issue by John Moore in Philly on my first ever visit to the States in 1991....$600.00 was his price!

Chris

:(

Just out of interest Chris I wondered how much that $600 would be worth today - so I googled it.

$1,052.96

Social source share

Sorry to disappoint but I have never had a red one. Still have a white demo bought from Gary Smelt in 1995 @£600. Not a bad one though.

He initially had this on the same auction list as Frank Wilson (Soul demo) and Anderson Brothers (Issue)!!!!

Regards, Carl Jones 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

18 hours ago, Pete S said:

Yet another oldie.  Move on lads.

Maybe surprising to you Pete but a lot of people still find certain topics interesting even though they might have been discussed a few years ago, I myself am very interested and curious as to what this grail will go for and the background of the record and artist

• Helpful 2
Social source share

2 minutes ago, snooky said:

i would like to know why its being sold......

Could be cashflow, the buyer bought it from manship for thousands and   to be able to have several thousand tied up in a vinyl record and leave it sitting there  to me the owner must be well off anyway or has fallen on hard times

Social source share

4 hours ago, sheldonsoul said:

Maybe surprising to you Pete but a lot of people still find certain topics interesting even though they might have been discussed a few years ago, I myself am very interested and curious as to what this grail will go for and the background of the record and artist

Not on about the topic, on about the fact we've all seen and heard these records a million times, if you want to listen to the same records over and over again, good for you!  I don't.

4 hours ago, sheldonsoul said:

"grail"

f*cks sake

Social source share

36 minutes ago, Pete S said:

Not on about the topic, on about the fact we've all seen and heard these records a million times, if you want to listen to the same records over and over again, good for you!  I don't.

f*cks sake

Do I detect some double standards here Mr Smith? Never notice you complaining about topics related to extremely rare UK issues of seen and heard a million times, Northern Soul standards. :g:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Pete S said:

f*cks sake

So a record of 2 copy's can't be classed as a Grail,  ?  And whos even mentioned about listening to it think people on this thread are discussing the sale of the said record if you want to be negative and a spoiler don't bother commenting on the thread at all !!!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Numbers wise, Larry Clinton counts as a 'grail' Soundwise, not really 'holy' IMO as there are better tunes and far more uplifting records to dance to. Sure, I would like to own a copy, and if I found one, I would definitely keep it and perhaps appreciate it more. OK, so there are 3 or possibly 4 red issues out there making the hunt all the more interesting, but it is now an oldie so often heard down the years, one can understand the disinterest in the record.

Social source share

5 hours ago, rhino said:

my only interest is how much it will go for and always love to keep an eye on prices off records guess us less collectors are just anorak's  

Amazing that people are stunned by ebay & Manship prices while speculating on this 45's value and at the same time complain that it's not about the money while knocking the category of "top 500 oldies" that have been played time and time again. 

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

interesting. i was sure  eddie Holman sang this live at lowton. at the time i held both the issue and demo but a more interesting prize was to be had. the story behind the finding of this was pretty good too.

Social source share

1 hour ago, turntableterra said:

interesting. i was sure  eddie Holman sang this live at lowton. at the time i held both the issue and demo but a more interesting prize was to be had.

Hi Barry

come on then, what more interesting prize??

Hope you're well and missing the bush fires!

Julian

Social source share

2 hours ago, turntableterra said:

interesting. i was sure  eddie Holman sang this live at lowton. at the time i held both the issue and demo but a more interesting prize was to be had. the story behind the finding of this was pretty good too.

He did, along with Where I'm not wanted. Greatest live performance ever. What a  night. There was a live recording of the night but it has disappeared.

Steve

Social source share

On 1/7/2016 at 14:02, Steve Foran said:

Was/Is it the copy Rob Thomas had?

No Steve, this copy is in better condition. The one Rob had came from a collection belonging to somebody who's business went tits up.

I actually ended up with two or three records from the same persons collection........can't remember the guy's name now ? 

Social source share

22 hours ago, sheldonsoul said:

Could be cashflow, the buyer bought it from manship for thousands and   to be able to have several thousand tied up in a vinyl record and leave it sitting there  to me the owner must be well off anyway or has fallen on hard times

I know the guy that  bought this off John, he lives locally in my area. He has a very enterprising entertainments business so maybe

he has cash problems with one of his latest projects. He's a bit of an ellusive character, he sometimes turns up at local events I am

DJ'ing at for the odd hour and then dissapears again for a few months. I think he's bought other rare classics things from Johnny in the past but keeps his vynil addiction fairly quiet. Another clandestine collector methinks.... 

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Arthur Fenn said:

the accountant per chance?. Rob offered me the issue for £700 at a little club in hull circa 99, perhaps i should have scraped the dosh up :D

That was it Arthur, Mick Smith had some of the collection, Rob Thomas had a few as well. At the time I bought Honey & the Bees - Dynamite Exploded and Sonny Herman - Utopia from Mick.  I saw the stuff Rob had a couple of weeks later at Derek Allen's soul nite

in Hinckley, Rob had some top oldies in the box for sale including the Larry Clinton issue. 

Social source share

18 hours ago, Russell Gilbert said:

Amazing that people are stunned by ebay & Manship prices while speculating on this 45's value and at the same time complain that it's not about the money while knocking the category of "top 500 oldies" that have been played time and time again. 

only said as a small time COLLECTOR i was interested in what price it was going to fetch. Same as look through other websites and on here to see whats certain records ive got that are mention and what value they are and if i want to see a few bit im bored with and get new stuff. Never once moaned about prices on manships site or idiots being ripped off on ebay at the end of the day its only worth what someones prepared to pay. sorry soul police for putting my opinion on a record forum  :shhh::shhh::shhh::sleep3::sleep3:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

5 minutes ago, rhino said:

only said as a small time COLLECTOR i was interested in what price it was going to fetch. Same as look through other websites and on here to see whats certain records ive got that are mention and what value they are and if i want to see a few bit im bored with and get new stuff. Never once moaned about prices on manships site or idiots being ripped off on ebay at the end of the day its only worth what someones prepared to pay. sorry soul police for putting my opinion on a record forum  :shhh::shhh::shhh::sleep3::sleep3:

images.jpg

Edited by Peter99
added smiley
Social source share

4 minutes ago, rhino said:

lol pete just couldn't see what my post had to do with his point. 

Think your spot on rhino a few people on here seem to think that they are God almighty and are only to quick to pull you up on the slightest wrong word even though people are just Discussing a topic !

• Helpful 2
Social source share

31 minutes ago, sheldonsoul said:

Think your spot on rhino a few people on here seem to think that they are God almighty and are only to quick to pull you up on the slightest wrong word even though people are just Discussing a topic !

i wonder what its like up on the moral high ground they sit upon looking down on us mere mortals. lol got to love the quirkiness of the soul scene.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, Chris L said:

The seller will have to pay JM commission any idea how much that is ? Guessing seller will have to sell at the original price and JM's commission to break even at least. Can anybody do the maths ?

I think that last time on the JM auction 2 years ago it finished at almost £7,500. So, on that basis, if the commission is 20% (it may have been negotiated/discounted down due to the potential sale price) it would need to reach £9,375 ( £9,375 less 20% = £7,500) as a break-even deal. However, the owner has had the use and enjoyment of owning the record, which has got to be worth something.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

9 minutes ago, bo diddley said:

I think that last time on the JM auction 2 years ago it finished at almost £7,500. So, on that basis, if the commission is 20% (it may have been negotiated/discounted down due to the potential sale price) it would need to reach £9,375 ( £9,375 less 20% = £7,500) as a break-even deal. However, the owner has had the use and enjoyment of owning the record, which has got to be worth something.

Quite correct, and an excellent summary.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!