Billy Woods about to go on sale

Jim G

If I remember correctly, it was a big record for Richard Searling back in the Wigan days!

I bought the white label bootleg when it was first pressed in the mid 70's.  Always been very rare on original.

The original thats going up for auction looks in really nice condition, if the clean label is anything to go by!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

1 hour ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Why is it so rare? Well known label, Van McCoy,etc 

Don't know, but what copies there were came through Soul Bowl, as far as I can remember. I don't think anybody at the time thought this would stay rare for very long given the label etc., but it certainly did.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Kegsy said:

Don't know, but what copies there were came through Soul Bowl, as far as I can remember. I don't think anybody at the time thought this would stay rare for very long given the label etc., but it certainly did.

I know John said he took what he could get on his finger but wasn't the label being shut down, everything in the skip etc? The engineer had a box of these (25).....some alcohol had been consumed during the conversation :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's certainly an odd one, as just about every other number around 213, Decisions, Presidents, Bill Withers etc. were available by the boatload on Bradford Market. I think Sussex survived til about 75 or early 76, which would make the time line wrong for the label closure, as the record was played long before that.

Edited by Kegsy
Social source share

11 hours ago, Peter99 said:

I know fcuk all but had this down as a Cleethorpes Pier spin.

And yes - it's a great record.

Dead right!!! Was definitely a Cleethorpes Pier spin, missed out on this when on my regular trips down to see John at Soul Bowl at the time when he got the first few in (I think he had about 8 copies , may be wrong) but i remember him saying don't worry though will be getting some more copies, and you have to remember this would have been a very recent/new release at the time but as we realise this didn't happen and when it did turn up for sale was mostly from the first batch found by John re-circulating..Rick 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Now heading north of 3K within minutes of being posted on the web site. Clearly this is a record that isn't going to turn up in bulk any time soon, so this copy may be from a pressing plant employee, label owner or group member QED. If anyone wants to get rid of their clapped out 'decorative' object, I would be delighted to cover postage costs so I can frame it for the wall.

Social source share

2 hours ago, Kegsy said:

It's certainly an odd one, as just about every other number around 213, Decisions, Presidents, Bill Withers etc. were available by the boatload on Bradford Market. I think Sussex survived til about 75 or early 76, which would make the time line wrong for the label closure, as the record was played long before that.

Having a root round Steve G says the label went bust for the first time when this was recorded...the engineer hadn't been paid and kept around 200 records.  John A took 8 of them, the rest...who knows, certainly a few copies made there way over but the rest who knows?  Might still be sat in that box somewhere waiting to be found! 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Popsike shows that in 2007 a copy in decent shape went up for sale on ebay and sold for $5750. The text says that it originally belonged to a record company rep so you'd think there was a few more out there amongst the ex-sales force and radio stations.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

19 hours ago, chalky said:

Having a root round Steve G says the label went bust for the first time when this was recorded...the engineer hadn't been paid and kept around 200 records.  John A took 8 of them, the rest...who knows, certainly a few copies made there way over but the rest who knows?  Might still be sat in that box somewhere waiting to be found! 

Yes remember him telling a few of us that at Cleethorpes one year. He left the engineer and went on the bus to Philly, thinking that if he needed to he could always go back and get the rest. But I think (I cannot remember this bit as the red wine had kicked in by then) when he did the copies had gone. 

The label going "bust" is the mystery bit, it might just be that the engineer wasn't paid, or it might be that it was re-financed, since Sussex kept going long after this 45. 

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

11 minutes ago, Steve G said:

Yes remember him telling a few of us that at Cleethorpes one year. He left the engineer and went on the bus to Philly, thinking that if he needed to he could always go back and get the rest. But I think (I cannot remember this bit as the red wine had kicked in by then) when he did the copies had gone. 

The label going "bust" is the mystery bit, it might just be that the engineer wasn't paid, or it might be that it was re-financed, since Sussex kept going long after this 45. 

I was there Steve but my memory not as good....I'd had more than are beers :D I do remember him saying he took a finger full and that he could/would go back for the others.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

28 minutes ago, Steve G said:

It begs the question when this meeting took place. Was the record already known or did J.A. hear and like it. If the record was already known/big, then why leave any copies behind, unless of course the engineer wouldn't part with them. It also begs the question, if the record wasn't already known, why go anywhere near Sussex records as there is little else of interest to the rare soul collector, on the label.

Edited by Kegsy
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

17 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

It begs the question when this meeting took place. Was the record already known or did J.A. hear and like it. If the record was already known/big, then why leave any copies behind, unless of course the engineer wouldn't part with them. It also begs the question, if the record wasn't already known, why go anywhere near Sussex records as there is little else of interest to the rare soul collector, on the label.

Wasn't the Decisions "I Can't Forget About You" a popular tune around that time ?

Dave

Social source share

51 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Does it?

The record was unknown at the time.

John was going to the States every few weeks at this time and picking up new things every day. At the time he was using buses etc. and records were plentiful. There is only so much you can fit in a holdall! Tracking down writers, producers, engineers etc. was all part of the hunt. He was importing soul music, not rare soul music (obviously some of the imports turned out to be rare), so Sussex and people connected with it would have been a perfectly logical stop to make.

Pick up a few interesting things and move on to the next place.

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Louise said:

Which just proves it's popularity and as a businessman wouldn't John be on the lookout for good sellers ?

I don't think it was released in the U.K. due to it's popularity as it was 1971 not long after it was released in the States. I remember it being played on A&M as a new release.

I'm not trying to question J.A. and his reasons for whatever he did, I'm trying to establish a time line for it's discovery, it being played and the find from the recording engineer. I think Steve G. has answered the question now as he reckons it was an unknown before J.A. picked up those 8 copies. 

Social source share

I had a chat with JA about this record about two years ago. He said he got a call from Sussex PR man and he had a record that was just the kind of thing that J was looking for. They met but none of them had a record player so J couldn't listen to it - he took a gamble and bought about 8 copies for a dollar each. The PR man said the label was doomed and whatever J didn't buy would go in the dumpster. 

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, garethx said:

Am I alone in finding this record second-rate? If it wasn't for the accident of its rarity it would surely have been consigned to the league of so-so 70s records.

No you are not alone. I've always considered this to be a pretty average record - nice, but not one I'd ever want even if I could afford it lol.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!