John Manship's Tease Auction

snooky

I think Ted could be correct .... A gold Professionals

Andy

.....but maybe it's Len Barry 'I'll Always Need You' C/W another of the LP dance tracks on a Brunswick 7" ... Not likely tho

I did go with the Professionals theory, although I also considered the Len Barry, but I agree that's not likely - would be great if it was though!

Social source share

I'm sure everyone else who has posted on the 7 pages of this thread will be chuffed with your analysis  :g:

I didn't know there was another copy, and as I said earlier it's all just boring bollocks and guesswork. Who really cares? It just shows how sad some of our lives are. Isn't Mr. Manship a millionaire yet?  :lol:

Social source share

Andy

.....but maybe it's Len Barry 'I'll Always Need You' C/W another of the LP dance tracks on a Brunswick 7" ... Not likely tho

That crossed my mind as well,if going with the LP only theory. 

Social source share

I didn't know there was another copy, and as I said earlier it's all just boring bollocks and guesswork. Who really cares? It just shows how sad some of our lives are. Isn't Mr. Manship a millionaire yet?  :lol:

My life's sadder than your's Phil,so there. :elvis:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Andy

Read all this thread - now I don't give a monkey's . Be way beyond my salary grade anyaway unlike a couple of pints of best - off to the pub it is then :thumbup:

PS For what it's worth Gold Professionals seems most likely.

Social source share

If it is a gold professionals, surely it's a very limited auction?

Most people would settle for a normal copy ,so it's a purist collector that would go for it.

Won't affect price though I guess :)

Seems people are even bidding on it without even knowing what it is lol

Social source share

I thought this thread was only going to be for a couple of day's   ???? ??? ????

You're right but members keep posting and interest doesn't appear to be waning.

Quite happy to close it but unless thread starter feels it's run it's course I'll keep it open until the posts dry up.

Personally I feel like I'm trapped in one of those interminable conversations that I seem to get dragged into sometimes when I'm out.

ROD [Forum Moderator]

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

You're right but members keep posting and interest doesn't appear to be waning.

Quite happy to close it but unless thread starter feels it's run it's course I'll keep it open until the posts dry up.

Personally I feel like I'm trapped in one of those interminable conversations that I seem to get dragged into sometimes when I'm out.

ROD [Forum Moderator]

Oh dear Rod , have a cup of tea mate I think this is going to run until Friday !! regards S.

Social source share

The Professionals theory goes on, and, it might well be correct. But this would mean a THIRD copy has surfaced unless JM is auctioning one of the two that already exist. Plus he says he has never had his hands on it before, if so where did the scan come form of the Professionals in JM book, Million Dollars Worth of Soul? 

Will the REAL FLIPPIN ANSWER please stand up  :)

Social source share

The Professionals theory goes on, and, it might well be correct. But this would mean a THIRD copy has surfaced unless JM is auctioning one of the two that already exist. Plus he says he has never had his hands on it before, if so where did the scan come form of the Professionals in JM book, Million Dollars Worth of Soul? 

Will the REAL FLIPPIN ANSWER please stand up  :)

John contacted collectors and asked if he could scan their records. I know Johnny Weston has afew scans in the book.

Social source share

Why the gold vinyl copy is on discogs is beyond me as its never been for sale before via the internet. The scan is I presume lifted from this site as it is the copy Dickie Watt owned and gave to Richard Searling, it was the one Robin found in the States i think. As far as i know Richard still has it. There is mention of another from the Yate days so that might be the other copy of it exists.

Here is the topic where Dickie posted the scan..

Social source share

Can't see if any one has posted this.........Jimmy Mack  "My world is on fire" B/W "Go on"  on an obscure local Detroit First issue label.

2 great sides, first surfaced around 73, fits the bill....and the Just Brothers turned up didn't it ?

Other than that I'd like it to be Don Varner on Veep just to see it !

Rob

Social source share

There is mention of another from the Yate days so that might be the other copy of it exists.)

AS FAR AS I KNOW I THINK I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO HAD THE PROFESSIONALS ORIGINAL WHO WENT TO YATE UNLESS IAN CLARKE HAD ONE....I DID SELL MINE AT YATE ALLNIGHTER BUT I CAN NOT REMEMBER WHO TOO....IT HAS MY NAME SCRIBED ON RUN OUT

SNOOKY

Social source share

There is mention of another from the Yate days so that might be the other copy of it exists.)

AS FAR AS I KNOW I THINK I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO HAD THE PROFESSIONALS ORIGINAL WHO WENT TO YATE UNLESS IAN CLARKE HAD ONE....I DID SELL MINE AT YATE ALLNIGHTER BUT I CAN NOT REMEMBER WHO TOO....IT HAS MY NAME SCRIBED ON RUN OUT

SNOOKY

Dunno mate, you will have to read what Dave T says in the link above.

Social source share

I think i had the Professionals before you even started going to Yate Snooky :thumbup:  Blue Max´s old copy would have been 74 or 75 it ended up with Clarkie.

Steve

Oh by the way i have an old tape of yours from 77 or 78? but i don´t think the Proffessionals is on it but i do remeber Phil Coulter is!! :D and Shane Martin one is one

Hi Steve i can hardly remember the dates.....micky beaton will remember not sure if i had before yate....can't think who i got it from might have been thru Richard S or JM

and you are years older than me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!did you know boudicea.

Social source share

I had the cracked copy sold it to Tim Brown Carl Fortnum has a minter, different b side to the Fontana release so that discounts it as the record as the b side is un known and don't he say 2 classic sides?

Yes CarlF does..remember holding it when he brought his playbox to my flat when he last deejayed at my club...oh my, already around 13 years ago as well by now!!! LOL 

Social source share

Now the Professionals "Thats Why I Love You", I have checked JM Millionaires guide and the picture on the copy in there is different to one on Discogs. The Discogs one has a marked / scuffed label. The one in JM guide does not. Does that mean there are tow copies at least?

Disccogs one is below

To be honest Jim, if I was doing a classy coffee-table quality book like that, rammed with most of the acknowledged true rarities, I would probably want to employ all the current technology to make it as attractive a product as I could.

Would not be surprised at all if the copy shown on discogs and the one featured in John's book are actually one and the same copy, but just with a bit of photoshopping or "airbrushing" to tidy it up a bit  :yes:

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I still don't get why John as emphasis on the word ORIGINAL,that just suggests to me that it is a classic northern soul tune that we've only ever known on a boot or reissue,and now a 1 only copy as surfaced as a demo or issue.

I don't think it will be any of the usual suspects already mentioned..ie..gold professionals...Don varner on veep,or any of the wand rarities.

I for one,will be a bit disappointed if its a gold professionals,considering the amount of issues that have turned up in recent years.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I interpret it as a well known record that remained a one-off for the last 35+ years ("The world’s RAREST Northern Soul Classic ORIGINAL having been a ONE OF A KIND 45 for near 4 decades."). So not just a record in an usual format/press/label design.

I wouldn't put my money on it, but maybe something like Living Color instrumental as mentioned before?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Still think it isn't the Professionals, more like an "overplayed"oldie (if there is such a thing) found as a one off on vinyl that no one knew existed. But I am always the optimist!

I only hope for JM's sake it IS something really special otherwise boy oh boy will he get some blasting on here!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Still think it isn't the Professionals, more like an "overplayed"oldie (if there is such a thing) found as a one off on vinyl that no one knew existed. But I am always the optimist!

I only hope for JM's sake it IS something really special otherwise boy oh boy will he get some blasting on here!

Defo..and defo

Social source share