John Manship's Tease Auction

snooky

Guest James Trouble

Hi James, how many copies of the "known" Little John?

I know of three. Keb's old one in not great condition, my old one (which used to be Mr Fortnum's) which is near mint and one that was recently for sale in Europe.

Maybe someone can throw light on other copies?

There are a few more Trent Sisters kicking about.

The unseen Little John has to be the Northern Soul 'holy grail'? It's going to be a great record, how can it not be? But does it even exist any more?

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

There's three more Little John's that I know of - John Pugh's, Mace's and a lad from the midlands who frequented Bidds who bought it at Stafford for £80. All confirmed

I heard he got it at Morecambe,record fair quite a while ago.? He was offered a VW Golf for it recently,but then i realised i wouldn't be able to get home. 

Social source share

i have a good group soul record on gogate, it has a nice sweet side and an okay midtempo side. group is called "True Nature". Although i'm sure someone has one, I don't know anyone who has one and it doesn't come up in discussions of the label. I'm sure the label was a total custom thing, probably none of the records are connected.

Social source share

i have a good group soul record on gogate, it has a nice sweet side and an okay midtempo side. group is called "True Nature". Although i'm sure someone has one, I don't know anyone who has one and it doesn't come up in discussions of the label. I'm sure the label was a total custom thing, probably none of the records are connected.

There was one on ebay sometime this year Bob (unless thats the one you got)

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

GoGate "If it's not on Gogate, it's not a hit..." GoGate? Would you mind sticking a scan up?

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

So you throw that sort of sum around on a record without knowing what it is? :ohmy: Perish the thought you might not actually like the record......or is the only thing that matters that it's a "classic" and a unique "rarity"? I am not having a dig btw - what you spend your money on is up to you - but if there are collectors that will speculate to that level on something they don't know, that adds a whole new dimension to "collecting".

Was a piece of fun Steve :-)  The point that someone would blind bid is one thing, but really I was equating the value (already) to the record as hyped even though unknown - I would be confident it won't sell for less than £ 2k without even knowing what it is yet .................

Otherwise it is unlikely to match the hype / promotion :-)

Edited by RareMusicDirect
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

People camping outside the Melton Mowbray Head Office in a tent drinking hot chocolate...

If this record turns out to be a duffer they'll be folk camping outside to take it in turns to kick Johnny boy up the jacksey.

Social source share

I know of three. Keb's old one in not great condition, my old one (which used to be Mr Fortnum's) which is near mint and one that was recently for sale in Europe.

Maybe someone can throw light on other copies?

There are a few more Trent Sisters kicking about.

The unseen Little John has to be the Northern Soul 'holy grail'? It's going to be a great record, how can it not be? But does it even exist any more?

I doubt it ever existed in the first place?

Mace bought his copy from Nancy who advertised it on here and other sites.

I would say there are at least half a dozen. Who had yours JT?

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Regardless of what is up for grabs... why does anyone bid on anything when there are 20 days to go on an auction? :facepalm:

i would think that cos its gonna be a rare one off or whatever these people bidding early can say to everyone i bid on that but didnt win ? also i think that someone somewhere apart from john manship will know what the actual record is ? and it only takes one person to tell someone else and the cats out the bag,imagine if one of us knew what it was,u would tell at least one of yr mates wouldnt you ? just a thought

jason

• Helpful 1
Social source share

wait till its revealed and if im right will say

I will also say I was right ... whatever it turns out to be  :lol:  :lol:

Pretty sure there is only one gold Professionals, so will be interesting to see if it is that in the end.

17 hours and counting.

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

I will also say I was right ... whatever it turns out to be  :lol:  :lol:

Pretty sure there is only one gold Professionals, so will be interesting to see if it is that in the end.

17 hours and counting.

Richard

There are definitely (I think) two gold professionals, one was around before Robin found his copy in the States as far as I know. Read the topic in the link I posted. Not sure where the second is though.

Social source share

So you throw that sort of sum around on a record without knowing what it is? :ohmy: Perish the thought you might not actually like the record......or is the only thing that matters that it's a "classic" and a unique "rarity"? I am not having a dig btw - what you spend your money on is up to you - but if there are collectors that will speculate to that level on something they don't know, that adds a whole new dimension to "collecting".

I think there's a type of collector around these days, that if you asked what sort of music they liked they'd say 'rare', if they were being honest. Another type would say 'expensive'. Doesnt stuff sound better the more expensive it gets? It isnt of course, that's pretty much all in the mind.

Social source share