Mike

The Chase Is On...  

1. 1. Which Version does it for you?

• The Artistics
    • Johnny Howard

This poll is closed to new votes

Poll: Version Battle - Time for another members suggestion

This time its thanks to long long time member Joan aka @jumpinjoan for this one

two versions both with their own take on a great song, which one do you go for ?

The Artistics - The Chase Is On - Brunswick

Johnny Howard - The Chase Is On - Bashie

as always once you have  posted your choice then do please share your reasons, view, stories, memories and all that via the comments below

the chase is on...

Social source share

God dam ! These are hard... Artistics has my vote as that’s the version I first heard, can somebody say when these were played, which first etc... seem to think the Bashie 45 was aWigan spin, I’ve heard that somewhere 

fast becoming my favourite feature on here, what it’s all about init 🙂

Mal 

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

22 minutes ago, jumpinjoan said:

Despite hearing JH first, it's Artistics all day long for me. The awesome vocal, arrangement, depth and all-round soulfulness puts it leagues ahead. One of the best groups ever to hit a recording studio :thumbup:

Couldn't have put it better Joan👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

The Johnny Howard has maybe the Oomph ! and is indeed a rarer 45 so it's maybe more "Northern Soul" in that sense. But the Artistics (one of the finest group IMHO) has the music, the groove and the voices. Let's not forget the credentials with Carl Davis, Sonny Sanders and Gerald Sims. And I do hear that. I heard them first both around the same time in my younger days on the Kent compilations. Always loved the Artistics so much more to leave the although good version of Johnny Howard a much less desirable 45 to purchase. And I still get the same chills from the first drum & bongo and bass & guitar call intro...

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Neither of these were played on the scene prior to me leaving it at the end of '75. I first heard them after returning almost twenty years later, so have no really vivid, chemically induced "memories" akin to the ones surrounding the likes of Moses Smith, Duke Browner, etc., and can therefore make a decision based on something other than the pure emotion felt at the time. If that makes any sense.

So, for a soul record, it just has to be the version by the wonderful Artistics. For a northern tune though, the JH version by a country mile.

Social source share

On 15/07/2018 at 07:38, tomangoes said:

Did / Does the plug side ever get played?

Ed

Never heard it out but am not clubbing too much... I always found Johnny Howard 'I miss my lady' on the edge making it hard to "fall in love" with it. Even though on the musical arrangements it holds all that we love in that typical Windy C trade mark... I guess I find it lacking the subtleness or the inspiration I find on others of the genre and that era. 

Social source share

On 12/07/2018 at 09:20, mike said:

Poll: Version Battle - Time for another members suggestion

This time its thanks to long long time member Joan aka @jumpinjoan for this one

two versions both with their own take on a great song, which one do you go for ?

The Artistics - The Chase Is On - Brunswick

Johnny Howard - The Chase Is On - Bashie

as always once you have  posted your choice then do please share your reasons, view, stories, memories and all that via the comments below

the chase is on...

No doubt in my mind. It's gotta be the Johnny Howard version, which is kind of odd to me, as I love the Artistics and you only have to look at the label credits to see: prod by Carl Davis, Arr. Sonny Sanders, Directed by Gerald Sims. Even a poor record should turn out great with that team behind it. But music is a funny thing and the johnny Howard version just has a better tempo, more "oomph", and makes the Artistics version sound weak in comparison. Oh yeah, nearly forgot, Johnny Howard was a big VaVa tune. Say no more.

Social source share

On 12/07/2018 at 14:22, jumpinjoan said:

That's the thing right there. If I didn't hear JH ever again I would be a happy gal. The Artistics however, different kettle of fish. Always been in JH's shadow so never got the recognition it rightly deserved. I also think the cheaper vs more expensive stigma plays a part, as it does so often. Take One Thousand Wonders by TSU Tornadoes / Archie Bell for example - AB is a thousand times better and cheaper. Rarity and value never trumps quality for me. But that's for a future battle to decide ... 

Like Mal and others have said, these are great threads and what it's all about. Preferences shared and not a hissy fit in sight. Old school soulsource. Great stuff! 

You're absolutely right there. I don't agree with you in this case, but I could fill a book with records that are inferior to another version of the same song but get played and are worth more simply because they are rarer, not because they're better.The Sheppards v Ernest Moseley springs instantly to mind, and that's a miracle as I'm so tired it took me about 1/2 hour to type this. Ps a DJ once told me he was playing Chip Tyler instead of Jerry Williams 'cos it was rarer. I told him it was a soul night, not a country night......"Oh there's no need to be like that" he replied,  eeeejit!

Social source share

On 12/07/2018 at 18:47, Joey said:

Neither of these were played on the scene prior to me leaving it at the end of '75. I first heard them after returning almost twenty years later, so have no really vivid, chemically induced "memories" akin to the ones surrounding the likes of Moses Smith, Duke Browner, etc., and can therefore make a decision based on something other than the pure emotion felt at the time. If that makes any sense.

So, for a soul record, it just has to be the version by the wonderful Artistics. For a northern tune though, the JH version by a country mile.

That's GOOD, Emotion is, along with groove, the most important ingredient in a song/record. I like JH best but The Artistics are a killer group.

Social source share

ok thanks to all who took part be it voting or talking

next one starting tonight all being well

reminder any suggestions pm me then to get on the 'list'

looks like Johnny is the winner with a 59 to the  Artistics 41

so over to you Johnny to play this poll out....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!