Jump to content
  • Sign Up
Mike's profile photo

Poll: Version Battle - The Chase Is On

All About the SOUL Mike

 

The Chase Is On...  

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which Version does it for you?

    • The Artistics
      64
    • Johnny Howard
      92


Posted

Poll: Version Battle - Time for another members suggestion

This time its thanks to long long time member Joan aka @jumpinjoan for this one

two versions both with their own take on a great song, which one do you go for ?

The Artistics - The Chase Is On - Brunswick

 

 

Johnny Howard - The Chase Is On - Bashie


as always once you have  posted your choice then do please share your reasons, view, stories, memories and all that via the comments below

the chase is on...

 

 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

God dam ! These are hard... Artistics has my vote as that’s the version I first heard, can somebody say when these were played, which first etc... seem to think the Bashie 45 was aWigan spin, I’ve heard that somewhere 

fast becoming my favourite feature on here, what it’s all about init 🙂

Mal 

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 2

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Tough one.  As much as I love the Artistics, the more uptempo arrangement on Johnny's version suits the song better.  You believe that the chase is on.

  • Up vote 3

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Closer gap than the leave EU vote....

Johnny is just a bit more 'raw ' and edges it on the dancefloor.

Artistics are a top top group though and Hope we have, is a top 10 belter.

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Johnny Howard's version for the sax break, but again a tough call.

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Johnny Howard, and for me this was quite an easy decision = just more energetic/aggressive..

  • Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Despite hearing JH first, it's Artistics all day long for me. The awesome vocal, arrangement, depth and all-round soulfulness puts it leagues ahead. One of the best groups ever to hit a recording studio :thumbup:

 

  • Up vote 9

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Go Joan ! 

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
22 minutes ago, jumpinjoan said:

Despite hearing JH first, it's Artistics all day long for me. The awesome vocal, arrangement, depth and all-round soulfulness puts it leagues ahead. One of the best groups ever to hit a recording studio :thumbup:

 

Couldn't have put it better Joan👍

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

Johnny Howard by quite a distance, more punch and power, more of a dancer to my ears ...  and my ringtone to boot  :thumbsup:

 

.

Edited by martyn pitt
  • Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Artistics  More Soulful version , Johnny Howard is a classic Dancer , but  has and still is Hammered to Death  

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Simple for me.  Don't particularly like the record.  

Steve 

  • Thanks 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Johnny Howard for me, although I heard the Artistics version long before Howard version. First heard it on a Kent LP, possibly Soul Agents alongside numerous other Brunswick releases. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PIED PIPER said:

Artistics  More Soulful version , Johnny Howard is a classic Dancer , but  has and still is Hammered to Death  

 

That's the thing right there. If I didn't hear JH ever again I would be a happy gal. The Artistics however, different kettle of fish. Always been in JH's shadow so never got the recognition it rightly deserved. I also think the cheaper vs more expensive stigma plays a part, as it does so often. Take One Thousand Wonders by TSU Tornadoes / Archie Bell for example - AB is a thousand times better and cheaper. Rarity and value never trumps quality for me. But that's for a future battle to decide ... 

Like Mal and others have said, these are great threads and what it's all about. Preferences shared and not a hissy fit in sight. Old school soulsource. Great stuff! 

Edited by jumpinjoan
  • Up vote 7

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Artistics sleeker,   johnny rawer   nothing in it , artistics because l love all their output 🎶🎶

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

The Johnny Howard has maybe the Oomph ! and is indeed a rarer 45 so it's maybe more "Northern Soul" in that sense. But the Artistics (one of the finest group IMHO) has the music, the groove and the voices. Let's not forget the credentials with Carl Davis, Sonny Sanders and Gerald Sims. And I do hear that. I heard them first both around the same time in my younger days on the Kent compilations. Always loved the Artistics so much more to leave the although good version of Johnny Howard a much less desirable 45 to purchase. And I still get the same chills from the first drum & bongo and bass & guitar call intro...

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Although it's close- I'm going with the Artistics version.

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Artistics - smoother, deeper vocals. Easy call for me. 

 

Pete

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

very little in this, the artistics to sit and listen to, tother for the floor, two great recordings though

  • Up vote 2

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

It's time to hit the poll vote button at the top everyone.  Artistics for me.....

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Johnny Howard for me a bit more uptempo and very crisp lovely sax and still danceable for my legs 

  • Thanks 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Neither of these were played on the scene prior to me leaving it at the end of '75. I first heard them after returning almost twenty years later, so have no really vivid, chemically induced "memories" akin to the ones surrounding the likes of Moses Smith, Duke Browner, etc., and can therefore make a decision based on something other than the pure emotion felt at the time. If that makes any sense.

So, for a soul record, it just has to be the version by the wonderful Artistics. For a northern tune though, the JH version by a country mile.

  • Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Artistics all the way.

Dx

  • Up vote 2

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Whilst the Artistics have released some class sounds. For me on this one its got to be Johnny Howard.

Regards Fred. 

  • Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Johnny Howard is my choice,like all the previous polls (only Not My Girl was a winner),I prefer it because it is a better dancer (for me)

  • Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

The Artistics for me, another one of many Soul Stunners from the Boys.... :yes:   :hatsoff2:

  • Up vote 4

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

I'm a big fan of the Artistics but on this particular record Johnny Howard as the edge 

ML

  • Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Artistics for me but JH great version also, I'm not so much into the up-tempo stomp stomp stuff these days but ask me in 6 months time and it might be different.

  • Up vote 2

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

Will go with the Artistics, also 'cause was one of the first tune that got me into soul

Edited by EnricoACM1899
  • Up vote 2

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Johnny Howard it was the first version i heard at station rd  .very good record to choose!

  • Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Both superb sounds in their own right..but artistics just edges it for me..so so underrated group

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

JH for me, that's the first I heard and that's the dancer

  • Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Artistics. A much better record on every level.

  • Up vote 2

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

J H for me every time👍👍.

  • Thanks 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Artistic are slowly catching up.

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Did / Does the plug side ever get played?

Ed

 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 14/07/2018 at 20:20, Peter99 said:

Artistic are slowly catching up.

still time... ?
now hitting the last few days before closing

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 15/07/2018 at 07:38, tomangoes said:

Did / Does the plug side ever get played?

Ed

 

Never heard it out but am not clubbing too much... I always found Johnny Howard 'I miss my lady' on the edge making it hard to "fall in love" with it. Even though on the musical arrangements it holds all that we love in that typical Windy C trade mark... I guess I find it lacking the subtleness or the inspiration I find on others of the genre and that era. 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 12/07/2018 at 09:20, mike said:

Poll: Version Battle - Time for another members suggestion

This time its thanks to long long time member Joan aka @jumpinjoan for this one

two versions both with their own take on a great song, which one do you go for ?

The Artistics - The Chase Is On - Brunswick

 

 

Johnny Howard - The Chase Is On - Bashie


as always once you have  posted your choice then do please share your reasons, view, stories, memories and all that via the comments below

the chase is on...

 

 

No doubt in my mind. It's gotta be the Johnny Howard version, which is kind of odd to me, as I love the Artistics and you only have to look at the label credits to see: prod by Carl Davis, Arr. Sonny Sanders, Directed by Gerald Sims. Even a poor record should turn out great with that team behind it. But music is a funny thing and the johnny Howard version just has a better tempo, more "oomph", and makes the Artistics version sound weak in comparison. Oh yeah, nearly forgot, Johnny Howard was a big VaVa tune. Say no more.

  • Thanks 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 12/07/2018 at 14:22, jumpinjoan said:

That's the thing right there. If I didn't hear JH ever again I would be a happy gal. The Artistics however, different kettle of fish. Always been in JH's shadow so never got the recognition it rightly deserved. I also think the cheaper vs more expensive stigma plays a part, as it does so often. Take One Thousand Wonders by TSU Tornadoes / Archie Bell for example - AB is a thousand times better and cheaper. Rarity and value never trumps quality for me. But that's for a future battle to decide ... 

Like Mal and others have said, these are great threads and what it's all about. Preferences shared and not a hissy fit in sight. Old school soulsource. Great stuff! 

You're absolutely right there. I don't agree with you in this case, but I could fill a book with records that are inferior to another version of the same song but get played and are worth more simply because they are rarer, not because they're better.The Sheppards v Ernest Moseley springs instantly to mind, and that's a miracle as I'm so tired it took me about 1/2 hour to type this. Ps a DJ once told me he was playing Chip Tyler instead of Jerry Williams 'cos it was rarer. I told him it was a soul night, not a country night......"Oh there's no need to be like that" he replied,  eeeejit!

  • Thanks 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 12/07/2018 at 18:47, Joey said:

Neither of these were played on the scene prior to me leaving it at the end of '75. I first heard them after returning almost twenty years later, so have no really vivid, chemically induced "memories" akin to the ones surrounding the likes of Moses Smith, Duke Browner, etc., and can therefore make a decision based on something other than the pure emotion felt at the time. If that makes any sense.

So, for a soul record, it just has to be the version by the wonderful Artistics. For a northern tune though, the JH version by a country mile.

That's GOOD, Emotion is, along with groove, the most important ingredient in a song/record. I like JH best but The Artistics are a killer group.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 19/07/2018 at 13:28, mike said:

still time... ?
now hitting the last few days before closing

last shout! 🎫

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

ok thanks to all who took part be it voting or talking

next one starting tonight all being well

reminder any suggestions pm me then to get on the 'list'

looks like Johnny is the winner with a 59 to the  Artistics 41

so over to you Johnny to play this poll out....

 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url

All About the SOUL - Source Forum

Jump into the northern soul music & beyond talk now!

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!
Log into Soul Source

Get max use of the forums

Log in now!

Source Adverts



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.