The best DJ the UK has produced.

I think there are better ways to pay tribute to particular djs without making them number one or better than the rest. There are examples of this kind of discussion elsewhere on the forum, where people simply say why so-and-so does it for them (or not). Mick's points above explain very well why any nomination for The Best (or even the worst) is going to be ultimately impossible to settle.

"Give credit where it's due that's all you can do."

A more detailed appreciation of Colin's contribution would be a good place to start.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Sadly I think the top 500 that made the scene also imprisoned the scene too. Too many DJ's dare not leave the walls and have to play them in order to guarantee a full floor. Without Wigan and the Mecca breaking a record is nigh on impossible these days no matter how good it is. So what makes a good DJ? It is a fine balancing act, being able to take a risk and not care in search of that record that you truly believe in, emptying the floor until it kicks off and is accepted. I know he is a divisive character with as many supporters as people that dislike him but for me I have to give it to Levine.  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Personal think that people like John Anderson has to be mentioned as there ain't many djs haven't got a record that came through soul bowl. Without John and the likes of Tim Brown and John manship the scene wouldn't be what it is today in my honest opinion. Need to be taken into account as well as the djs taste and balls to play new records records. Personal know a few djs that still cover up records and agree with micks comment to many variables to just name one dj. Richard searling in his day has to be up there with the rest . 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Kev John said:

Can i just say  no one has mentioned any DJ's in the 21st century 

Mentionig the legendary DJ's dosen't wash with me !

As most on here don't attend venues to hear the diversity of thier wares 

Playlists are king not hearing records at a venue

Yeah good point made their Kev....Currently there are some great dj's out there playing my type of 'sounds'

Yes my type of sounds is different to when the 'legends' were being feted..in that 2 out of 3 at least were trad northern.....i didnt know then that i liked summat different ...ring a bell anyone ??

So I'm quite happy hearing .my type of sounds' in 2023.....totally different ball game to 1973......coz ..well basically I'm in charge of what i hear so can pick and choose where i go to hear it......its great

Ive purposely mentioned no names.....coz we are in the era where music is king and not who plays it

Kev mentioned playlists.....I went to a great event on saturday night and it sounded much better than reading the playlist !!

So to summarise there are enough dj's out there to satisfy my needs  so for me they are the best DJ out there         

and am not sure any hierarchy is of any use nowadays apart from a conversation starter.....but i would soon leave after saying my point of view

Try this George Best is the greatest footballer UK has produced......see what i mean...it'll go nowhere

.........we've all got different tastes nowadays so only current DJ's playing my type of sounds are relevant to me

Edited by Jez Jones
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

7 hours ago, Kev John said:

Can i just say  no one has mentioned any DJ's in the 21st century 

Mentionig the legendary DJ's dosen't wash with me !

As most on here don't attend venues to hear the diversity of thier wares 

Playlists are king not hearing records at a venue

I honestly do not care one little bit about playlists or indeed about music on a laptop, memory stick or whatever, O.K, I go to the Soul Do's abroad and accept that the DJ's can't take their precious Vinyl on a plane for a week. I'll put up with that. I'm lucky enough to DJ now and again and I play my original Vinyl on Turnatables watch people  dancing on a Wooden Dance Floor, among friends we have known for years, that's what Soul is about. Always was and always will be. I'll even enjoy Soul on CD machines in a Modern Room because that is what it came out on, it wasn't on vinyl but it has to be in a venue, among friends and having a bloody good dance. Those people that read the floor, change their selections to what people seem to want that night are DJ's in my book. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Any dj worth his/her salt, plays to the crowd, not theirselves, that the first rule.

I cant fathom the age group of who has contributed so far but, if youve served your time on the scene, as the djs have, then you'll probably know them and how they work.

Without doubt, Colin is full on with the scene, as he has been from day 1, and he's always maintained this forward progression at a staggering pace. His spectrum of black music is ever broadening...he really is one of the hardest working guys i know, or anyone else for that matter, he's certainly been at the helm of Northern Soul in its formative years, and ' broke ' many tunes, whether incumbent of c/up status or not.

He's played the venues that matter and probably everywhere else in the soul pyramid.

I haven't said he's the best, but there's no doubt his reputation precedes him, he's one of our greatest. 

Perhaps its better we're all just grateful the way our icons have graced the scene and served us

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Aside from the djs, i think there's still universal respect for John Anderson...and he's been done getting on for 3 years now...his contribution was integral...thats not to say others wouldnt have turned up the stuff that he did, but he trawled the States, when others simply didnt have the time or the knowledge where to look...he was out there before Levine, but whereas Ian scored hits, John was in it for the long haul, he made a business out of it...so many djs playlists benefitted from his inclusions.

I have massive respect for the likes of Tim Brown, Henry Atkinson, Martin Koppel and Mick Smith....these guys have made massive contributions to the market place and in many regards, have broken tunes too, and it goes without saying: they would voice their praise of John too.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Very subjective topic, it's whoever you have grown up with isn’t it...? 

My first hero's Tony Reynolds (Outrigger, later 'The Ship Ashore'), Pep, Harpo, Max, Ted Massey and the crew at the Old Vic, Martin Red (Martin Redmond) for what he did at the Hummingbird and early shellys, if we travelled for house, it was always the Flying Dj's, Brandon Block, et al, and we always turned up anywhere Justin Robinson played. 

in the 9ts, it was everything 100 club, so all those guys, Ady, Mick, Butch, and of course Dave Flynn, Shifty, Irish Greg, Alan Hanscombe, all the Capitol soul folks...

as I said, very subjective..

• Up vote 1
Social source share

16 hours ago, Agentsmith said:

Any dj worth his/her salt, plays to the crowd, not theirselves, that the first rule.

I cant fathom the age group of who has contributed so far but, if youve served your time on the scene, as the djs have, then you'll probably know them and how they work.

Without doubt, Colin is full on with the scene, as he has been from day 1, and he's always maintained this forward progression at a staggering pace. His spectrum of black music is ever broadening...he really is one of the hardest working guys i know, or anyone else for that matter, he's certainly been at the helm of Northern Soul in its formative years, and ' broke ' many tunes, whether incumbent of c/up status or not.

He's played the venues that matter and probably everywhere else in the soul pyramid.

I haven't said he's the best, but there's no doubt his reputation precedes him, he's one of our greatest. 

Perhaps its better we're all just grateful the way our icons have graced the scene and served us

Colin's contribution goes way beyond the soul spectrum along with Greg Wilson the part they played, in terms of dance music, is equal to that of Larry levan and Frankie Knuckles.  

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 21/03/2023 at 10:24, Rhino said:

Personal think that people like John Anderson has to be mentioned as there ain't many djs haven't got a record that came through soul bowl. Without John and the likes of Tim Brown and John manship the scene wouldn't be what it is today in my honest opinion. Need to be taken into account as well as the djs taste and balls to play new records records. Personal know a few djs that still cover up records and agree with micks comment to many variables to just name one dj. Richard searling in his day has to be up there with the rest . 

23 hours ago, Jez Jones said:

Yeah good point made their Kev....Currently there are some great dj's out there playing my type of 'sounds'

Yes my type of sounds is different to when the 'legends' were being feted..in that 2 out of 3 at least were trad northern.....i didnt know then that i liked summat different ...ring a bell anyone ??

So I'm quite happy hearing .my type of sounds' in 2023.....totally different ball game to 1973......coz ..well basically I'm in charge of what i hear so can pick and choose where i go to hear it......its great

Ive purposely mentioned no names.....coz we are in the era where music is king and not who plays it

Kev mentioned playlists.....I went to a great event on saturday night and it sounded much better than reading the playlist !!

So to summarise there are enough dj's out there to satisfy my needs  so for me they are the best DJ out there         

and am not sure any hierarchy is of any use nowadays apart from a conversation starter.....but i would soon leave after saying my point of view

Try this George Best is the greatest footballer UK has produced......see what i mean...it'll go nowhere

.........we've all got different tastes nowadays so only current DJ's playing my type of sounds are relevant to me

Obviously Gary liniker is the best football player the UK has produced, and he just doesn't get the credit. 😂

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 21/03/2023 at 19:58, Soulie52 said:

I honestly do not care one little bit about playlists or indeed about music on a laptop, memory stick or whatever, O.K, I go to the Soul Do's abroad and accept that the DJ's can't take their precious Vinyl on a plane for a week. I'll put up with that. I'm lucky enough to DJ now and again and I play my original Vinyl on Turnatables watch people  dancing on a Wooden Dance Floor, among friends we have known for years, that's what Soul is about. Always was and always will be. I'll even enjoy Soul on CD machines in a Modern Room because that is what it came out on, it wasn't on vinyl but it has to be in a venue, among friends and having a bloody good dance. Those people that read the floor, change their selections to what people seem to want that night are DJ's in my book. 

Just a response to what happens on a dance floor ,cd's,laptops & vinyl

I have taken original vinyl abroad bit of a pain always in hand luggage 

The original poster asked  for the best DJ that the UK as produced 

We have the top 500 book  where the legends of the soul scene are all listed for the 20th century 

Nothing for the 21st century & we are 23years in  

For me Best UK DJ is @Pat Bleasdale

There are many more proggresive Djs on the nighters scene who bring something new to the table

Atb Kev

• Up vote 1
Social source share

The best dj argument or discussion  in my opinion will all depend on what venue or genre of music , for example Blackpool mecca, Roosters at Nantwich I would go for Colin Curtis and  John Grant because of the jazz funk . Moving on then to Stafford Dave Thorley the simple reason being is that in regards to the nighter scene Dave dared to be different  if you liked the oldies scene I.e Wigan ,the torch  the list is endless. Peterborough The fleet Kev Draper top dj Hinkley that goes to Chris King . 

All in all its the little venues who's djs many who have an  excellent record collection do it for the love .

• Up vote 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, Kev John said:

We have the top 500 book  where the legends of the soul scene are all listed for the 20th century 

There are many more proggresive Djs on the nighters scene who bring something new to the table

Atb Kev

Good point kev, 20th century dj's been done to death, mind you some, like Butch, are just as relevant as ever. Best I've heard this century, I'd add Tom McGrath, Sean Haydon, Dean Read and Johnny Weston after that set last weekend 

Just now, Geeselad said:
3 hours ago, Kev John said:

Atb Kev

Good point kev, 20th century dj's been done to death, mind you some, like Butch, are just as relevant as ever. Best I've heard this century, I'd add Tom McGrath, Sean Haydon, Dean Read and Johnny Weston after that set last weekend 

• Thanks 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Gillian123 said:

The best dj argument or discussion  in my opinion will all depend on what venue or genre of music , for example Blackpool mecca, Roosters at Nantwich I would go for Colin Curtis and  John Grant because of the jazz funk . Moving on then to Stafford Dave Thorley the simple reason being is that in regards to the nighter scene Dave dared to be different  if you liked the oldies scene I.e Wigan ,the torch  the list is endless. Peterborough The fleet Kev Draper top dj Hinkley that goes to Chris King . 

All in all its the little venues who's djs many who have an  excellent record collection do it for the love .

Roosters of Nantwich.....well there ya go !!!!...you'll be getting to Ugli Ray Teret at Cheshire Cat soon 🙂

Social source share

1 hour ago, Geeselad said:

JW is certainly on fire at the mo mate...That 'set' you mention really was one of those 'you had to have been there moments'

*Big up for it crowd ......with no preconceived perceptions
*Top notch soundsytem
*Overall building vibe creating the environment for an atmos

as a side note
Dont forget now in the 21st century it isn't enough to play one expensive record after another...many of the punters have gone way past the concept of 'willy waving'

There is very little left that you can do to impress  them......A lot have been the Torch, Wigan , Stafford etc etc....so what you do now in 2023 will tend to be a little underwhelming to the predominately 50 plus somethings that have paid to come in......so the other option is to interest them

Plus don't forget you're not playing to an audience of DJ's ( or you may be,,,in which case no matter what you did ..you were crap lol 🙂 )

External factors/influences play a bigger part on a dJ's 'performance'   ....than the goodies in his/her box

Edited by Jez Jones
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

I have recently started DJ'ing in a local do's  Modern Room and it is far more difficult to get people up on the floor. The Northern Room floor is packed with Dancers  mostly dancing to the normal records and that crowd come to specifically to dance, so it is easier. Modern rooms can be tricky, you literally can do an hour and not see one person get up to great records. They seem to enjoy chatting more than dancing.  

Social source share

19 hours ago, Westender said:

As far as radio is concerned I rated Peter Young highly.

Championed Soul music, knowledgeable, open minded, enthusiastic with a great manner at the mic. He was also a really funny bloke.

Indeed he was and seemed to be made for broadcasting. No idea if he ever played out - would be interesting to know if anyone here ever heard him at an event. He was a bit over-protective of the "soul cellar" tag which he didn't have to be as he was one of a kind, and lost it a bit with other presenters who used the same show concept. This took some of the shine off for me as it was completely unnecessary and even childish. But still a good nomination in the radio category.

The compilation he put together for Expansion is going for peanuts right now which is ridiculous as it's a great selection of the kind of tunes he championed over the decades:

image.png.ba73abe98139df116c00f784dc61704f.png

• Up vote 1
Social source share

This is clearly a very subjective and personal opinion for each and everyone of us as it will either bring back memories of times gone by or what we may be currently into in the style of soul we like, it's like the question 'name your top five soul records ', I must have at least fifty in mine , but the following three ( four ) guys will always be top of my list ......
Richard Searling - massive sounds he broke and played at Wigan.
John Vincent - Samantha's ( Sheffield ) , I still love the sounds he played there in the Seventies.
Rob Smith - The Palais, Brit etc. Nottingham's finest and a truly great guy.
Finally a special mention to the late,` great Nev Wherry, the legacy of the sounds he played will always be with us.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 24/03/2023 at 09:44, Mickey Finn said:

Indeed he was and seemed to be made for broadcasting. No idea if he ever played out - would be interesting to know if anyone here ever heard him at an event. He was a bit over-protective of the "soul cellar" tag which he didn't have to be as he was one of a kind, and lost it a bit with other presenters who used the same show concept. This took some of the shine off for me as it was completely unnecessary and even childish. But still a good nomination in the radio category.

The compilation he put together for Expansion is going for peanuts right now which is ridiculous as it's a great selection of the kind of tunes he championed over the decades:

image.png.ba73abe98139df116c00f784dc61704f.png

I saw Peter Young DJ two or three times at a club in Ascot, can't remember the name or the date, probably around 2003/2004. A very skilled radio DJ and he was good on stage too. He played a mixed set, some Northern but other styles too. I remember one called Hard Times, not sure who by.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 22/03/2023 at 12:54, Geeselad said:

Colin's contribution goes way beyond the soul spectrum along with Greg Wilson the part they played, in terms of dance music, is equal to that of Larry levan and Frankie Knuckles.  

Totally get where you're coming from but 'part they played equal to Larry Levan and Frankie Knuckles'? Lol -no way!

Edited by Joesoap
Social source share

11 hours ago, Joesoap said:

Totally get where you're coming from but 'part they played equal to Larry Levan and Frankie Knuckles'? Lol -no way!

In terms of promoting an underground dance scene, mixing records ect. Obviously they didn't get into production in the same way but non the less both the British dj's along with George power, froggy ect were doing very similar things to new York and Chicago, at that time, musically without the fanfare. 

Social source share

1 minute ago, Geeselad said:

In terms of promoting an underground dance scene, mixing records ect. Obviously they didn't get into production in the same way but non the less both the British dj's along with George power, froggy ect were doing very similar things to new York and Chicago, at that time, musically without the fanfare. 

When actually, your right, important but not in the same league really, at least, not collin. 😂

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!