C & W meets Northern Soul!

6 minutes ago, Davey S said:

Beam me up 

And they said it was ' just a bit of fun '....ffs, why don't we all do the okey cokey as well?...when in Blackpool eh?

9 minutes ago, Davey S said:

Beam me up Scotty.

There'll be mad rush for cowboy boots and stetsons next..

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Agentsmith said:

And they said it was ' just a bit of fun '....ffs, why don't we all do the okey cokey as well?...when in Blackpool eh?

There'll be mad rush for cowboy boots and stetsons next..

Rob, did you never pop into the modern room at Prestwich whenever The Sunburst Band "Everyday" was played.

I haven't seen the Blackpool footage, but I would imagine a similar dance routine to the Prestwich

one, but on a much grander scale. I don't think anyone made a big fuss about it at the time.

Edited by Jessie Pinkman
Social source share

1 hour ago, Jessie Pinkman said:

Rob, did you never pop into the modern room at Prestwich whenever The Sunburst Band "Everyday" was played.

I haven't seen the Blackpool footage, but I would imagine a similar dance routine to the Prestwich

one, but on a much grander scale. I don't think anyone made a big fuss about it at the time.

Alex Jones and I went to a "Dusties" do in Chicago some 30 years ago.

Crowd were line dancing to Peoples Choice "Do it anyway..... "

Social source share

1 hour ago, Jessie Pinkman said:

Yes Jessie,

I most certainly did and know exactly what you mean, and a lot of this crew frequented SITP the first few years...proper funky groove i reckon, not a saddle up and ride yer pony in sight!....er...deffo not any comparison with the tower

Social source share

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Jessie Pinkman said:

Do you think the human pyramid will be making a comeback anytime soon.

I hope so cos that would be awesome.

Self moderated

Edited by Mrmick
Social source share

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

No mixed feelings for me, exactly the kind of people and behaviour we went to nighters, dayers, weekenders and soul nights to get away from, still do or try.  I’ve seen the footage too.  Dancing to Northern was to me and will always be an individual thing, athleticism, energy, passion and an element of showmanship or woman-ship. This is just more div madness as the scene sinks into the depths of despair.  I know a lot of decent folk go to these events but this kinda stuff just tars them all wi same brush. 

I cant argue with that Karl, all this " oh well, its only a laugh, get a life whats wrong with yer? " crap....ffs, making us all collectively look like a bunch of retarded geriatrics.....and they film it!!!......just the type of nonsense to play up to media and all their luvvies who still haven't got a clue what its all about, 50 years on....whatever next....last night of the Proms: a northern soul spectacular, with a houseful of fancy dress revellers singing to the FW anthem finale, waving their KTF flags.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

2 hours ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

They weren't all Red Necks, were they?

Social source share

Just now, Dobber said:

Next thing will be that final dance move out of “ghost” with Patrick swayze to timi yuro it’ll never be over😂

The disillusionment would be intense, if it wasn't for the fact there are plenty of venues were people still do act like grown adults and behave theirselves instead of selfishly resorting to not only just sending theirselves up, but every other innocent fooker in the building. 

2 minutes ago, Shinehead said:

At least the venue is at the right place Blackpool home of the circus.

Every chance of the Human Pyramid then?

Social source share

I was DJing in a modern room in the north west over 20:years ago, in the warmup session someone played a Drifters 78, then in the northern room people were line dancing to what sounded like Rawhide to me. I’d never heard or seen anything like this before at any soul do, it felt like another planet, very odd! So it’s taken off now then? 🚀 😂

Social source share

2 hours ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

My god Rod that's unbelievable.

You actually got Alex to a Dusties do.🤣

Social source share

1 hour ago, Sutty said:

I was DJing in a modern room in the north west over 20:years ago, in the warmup session someone played a Drifters 78, then in the northern room people were line dancing to what sounded like Rawhide to me. I’d never heard or seen anything like this before at any soul do, it felt like another planet, very odd! So it’s taken off now then? 🚀 😂

It will do if the tower footage goes viral

Social source share

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

The guys on the door mistook us for the police ! 

I mean Manc accents and neither of us look like Cagney and Lacey.

I'd have said nearer to Dixon of Dock Green than Starsky & Hutch

Edited by Jessie Pinkman
Social source share

Back in the day (late 60's) at our local youth club we used to do a type of line dance to "Harlem shuffle" ; we thought it was the Harlem shuffle!!  Then we did the "Temptation Walk" to the Jackie Lee song, just like the Temps (well nearly). Then someone came back from the Wheel and showed us the true way and our lives changed forever and we never danced in line or with anyone else again., 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 06/05/2024 at 16:21, Chalky said:

No mixed feelings for me, exactly the kind of people and behaviour we went to nighters, dayers, weekenders and soul nights to get away from, still do or try.  I’ve seen the footage too.  Dancing to Northern was to me and will always be an individual thing, athleticism, energy, passion and an element of showmanship or woman-ship. This is just more div madness as the scene sinks into the depths of despair.  I know a lot of decent folk go to these events but this kinda stuff just tars them all wi same brush. 

Another great summary.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Benji said:

Earliest footage of people line dancing to blackamerican music that I remember is from around 1978....Saturday Night Fever... 😉

The Bee Gees were black american ... you live and learn ... :lol:

Social source share

On 06/05/2024 at 18:01, Sutty said:

Burnley? only place where it's part of the fabric of their humour...

Social source share

3 hours ago, Benji said:

Earliest footage of people line dancing to blackamerican music that I remember is from around 1978....Saturday Night Fever... 😉

Saturday Night Fever was marketed and aimed at the divs we are talking about

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

Saturday Night Fever was marketed and aimed at the divs we are talking about

Fair point but it was also inspired by a mod lifestyle, transplanted to Brooklyn in the 70's. The writer of the short story that inspired it was a regular at tiles the flamingo and scene club. 

• Thanks 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Geeselad said:

Dancing in formation is an intrinsic part of the black roller scene in the US. Some great documentaries on the lesser known element of black culture 

https://youtu.be/sO8k77AxxXA?si=KEhINI1ej3Tenf1t

I can only barely imagine the chaos that would ensue if a bunch of three parts p*ssed , overweight , 60+ punters started that kind of malarkey round the Tower Ballroom , pint in one hand and selfie-stick in t'other ... :facepalm:

Social source share

9 minutes ago, Woodbutcher said:

I can only barely imagine the chaos that would ensue if a bunch of three parts p*ssed , overweight , 60+ punters started that kind of malarkey round the Tower Ballroom , pint in one hand and selfie-stick in t'other ... :facepalm:

Oh totally 🤣🤣

Social source share

2 hours ago, Woodbutcher said:

That will happen soon Trust me

Mick

• Up vote 1
Social source share

And also, as far back as 1966, there was a specific dance created called "Function at The Junction" - that Shorty Long had a hit with. That is more or less the same as line dancing, so it is hardly a new thing in black culture, although clearly it is a radical and unwelcome departure for "Northern soul".

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!