Northern Soul t-shirts

Paul-s

They definitely existed in the mid 1980’s, probably around the period when the Kent LP’s were at their height.

I bought it from a scooter parts fair in Hinckley if I remember correctly.  It was a white T-shirt, with a Navy blue ‘footsteps’ design on it. There were two other designs available on the same stall, forgotten what they were though.

I wore it with great pride at the time 🙂. Not sure I’d wear one these days though.

Social source share

Tee-shirts, coffee mugs, computer mouse matts, turntables slip-mats, slippers and wall clock... What's not to like ?Baring with pride you're a fan, a devotee a go-go to one of the most respected tribe in Britain's underground sub-culture history... As seen on The BBC. If you can't beat them, join them... I say run, flea retaliate and exterminate !

Social source share

18 minutes ago, Paul-s said:

I just get sick of the flaccid, hackneyed 'live and let live' rhetoric. Its as lazy as teaching NS dancing online whilst wearing a T-shirt that announces you as the soulful product that is 'Northern Soul', and the reason the essence of many vernacular dance forms get hijacked and sold down the swanny only to become lost in reification by charlatans, and finally accepted as the 'real thing'. The actual visual memory of the 'real thing'  finally erased.

The scene was never live and let live, only amongst the true souls. Divs were always tolerated, but also mocked for what they were, tourists. BUT, they were never celebrated and proclaimed as authentic. 'Policed' is also a hackneyed word used to try to shut of any considered thought or discussion....like 'conspiracy theorist' (not differing opinion), 'anti-vax' (not pro-choice), misinformation , disinformation etc. All designed to silence debate. Also, Jesus has nothing to do with it, though i suspect many rush of to church that day after: but not in the way Clayton did (thats perhaps a bad analogy and not meant to suggest anything untoward).

😀 policing is exactly what your doing, any variation of "your" world of soul is obviously wrong. If t shirts get you in such a frenzy well qué Sera. 

But anyway my opinion about the t shirt brigade stand and if you don't like it I don't give one. 👍

Social source share

20 hours ago, Bo Diddley said:

An old mate, Mickie Taylor, had a T-Shirt especially printed to wear at Wigan. It said "RIKA LIKE-A"!

This moment in time was caught on camera (on the left hand side). I'm not sure they would have been on sale at Blackpool

wigan 1980 3.jpg

Who remembers mid 70ts the cars in the car parks with sun visor names at the top of the screen - SKF Bearing 🤣😂

DS must of hated us 

Social source share

19 hours ago, Pied Piper said:

Sorry to say the Scene is no longer a unique underground Scene anymore,  It's just a MASSIVE MONEY MAKING SCENE. 

T Shirts , Mugs, Pictures of Wigan , Beer Mats, Coasters, and all the other Shite .

They Complained about the TV Cameras when they came to Wigan, Now they want it on TV as much as Possible. 

We’re really discussing the topic of branding here. Presumably because the t-shirt has become an item of merchandise, sold to enable the wearer to profess their attachment to the music or the scene. Of course, rock bands have been flogging over-priced ‘merch’ to fans for years. Now this has crossed over to the NS scene, it has brought the formerly underground scene more into the public eye. Once upon a time, involvement in the scene was expressed by wearing the NS regalia, often pilloried by the media and plenty on Soul-Source... maybe these days are long and unlikely to return so it’s probably best to turn a blind eye to the young T-shirt wearers and dress as you think most appropriate.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Frankie Crocker said:

We’re really discussing the topic of branding here. Presumably because the t-shirt has become an item of merchandise, sold to enable the wearer to profess their attachment to the music or the scene. Of course, rock bands have been flogging over-priced ‘merch’ to fans for years. Now this has crossed over to the NS scene, it has brought the formerly underground scene more into the public eye. Once upon a time, involvement in the scene was expressed by wearing the NS regalia, often pilloried by the media and plenty on Soul-Source... maybe these days are long and unlikely to return so it’s probably best to turn a blind eye to the young T-shirt wearers and dress as you think most appropriate.

Right now you can get 3 t-shirts for £22.

Wear them inside out and you've got a cheap otown & oul logo.

Edited by Modernsoulsucks
Social source share

23 hours ago, Leicester Boy said:

😀 policing is exactly what your doing, any variation of "your" world of soul is obviously wrong. If t shirts get you in such a frenzy well qué Sera. 

But anyway my opinion about the t shirt brigade stand and if you don't like it I don't give one. 👍

Another individual who comes as never having been really on or 'in' the scene I have been on (takes all types) for and through the decades. If you were, you would get this debate. Your use of the word 'policing' with a dumb smiley emoji as the sum of your response just reeks of inadequacy in terms of any complex, informed, aware or soulful discussion. Also, you misuse the word frenzy....perhaps you misuse the word 'Northern Soul too, i wouldn't be surprised.

I don't' have a world of soul, that would indicate that it stopped evolving and that i stopped listening and developing, I think you may have your own 'small' world of soul though, judging by the lack lustre comments.

The qué Sera.  comment exposes you for who you are and what your contribution signifies.  The Northern Soul scene was never built on a qué Sera attitude. If you think it was, you were never in it.

Finally,  I guess you pulled that final thumb out from where its been stuck for decades, or have i misread that....

Social source share

20 hours ago, Geeselad said:

Your spot on, Paul, Im really sadly ashamed to admit I'm into northern nowadays, to anyone off the scene. It's associated with; a specific set of records, a costume and current culture that means little to me. That  'way of life', now seems to involve a flask of tea and sandwiches, dancing to same music week in week out at a host of local nights, with occasionally outings to the kings or crackpool. 

I remember the once I was going to a night after work and told my mates where I was going and then they was curious and mustve youtubed “northern soul” and they get a video up of a blackpool ‘world dancing competition’ and said “is this what you’re going to do tonight?” Made me think to myself… wow is this what people think this thing is. 😂🤦‍♂️

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!