Couples dancing together

Go to solution Solved by Soundsokeh,

We don't get out to events so much these days but I don't see anything wrong with couples dancing together if it is in a style appropriate to the music which can be done to great effect. "ballroom style" does not sound like a good watch, did they dance conventionally the rest of the night? Then again I've looked  at people dancing on their own and thought as you say WTF. Each to their own, years ago at an event we regularly attended a woman used to move very slowly in her own body space no matter what the tempo of the tune, obviously fully immersed in the music, I loved watching her, others thought otherwise. 

Having initially said I see nothing wrong with it I wouldn't like to see it become the norm, watching others dance has always added to the enjoyment of a night regardless of the artistry involved.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Lots of small issues get on our nerves like women trying to dance in high heels or the like ,and the obligatory last dance erection section tune at the end of night .I once saw a couple dancing to northern in the style of line dancing to which a lot of people joined in .I think that if them places do that change your venue let's hope it doesn't spread 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

15 hours ago, Kevinkent said:

please feel free to tap me on the shoulder and put me right. I promise you will only need to do it once.

Ohh threatening talk!  This is a site for opinions and this topic asked for opinions on couples ballroom dancing together at Northern Soul events. 

That was my opinion and it was not personal to you or anyone in particular, so I don't think it should sink down to the level of threats!

Edited by Solidsoul
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

It happens at most of the smaller events, BUT it is usually to a slow /mush song, so I don`t have an issue with that as I for one won`t be on the floor, so my opinion is leave em alone and let em enjoy it, after all most of us should be at the Derby and Joan club anyway LoL. NOW..... if they start doing it to Jimmy Raye`s.. Philly dog around the world.. that would be a whole different thing and we may have an issue 🤬

Edited by Petesi
misspelling
  • Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

22 hours ago, Mark B said:

If it fits to the tune then what the problem. Years ago Wayne and Jackie blow used to jive to tunes like the original savannah band at the Mecca it’s just fitted in a they were good.

Wayne and Jackie , Great people ! 

Social source share

The Curse Of Strictly....they’ve watched the series so want to practise for the Summer Balls... Watch out for South Korean formation dancing coming to a venue near you. Perhaps the local Ceroc dance class had been cancelled, who knows? OK to dance in pairs on St Valentines eve after a few drinks I suppose, but really someone needs to tell the exhibitionists to head to the disco over the road.

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I remember being at a local event which isn’t exactly the zenith or height of quality musically and one guy kept sitting on the floor demanding everyone does the oops upside your head dance… a couple weeks later I’m sat at home scrolling through Facebook and I see a video of the same club and there’s about 12 of them at it 🤣 

Edited by Clee93
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Unfortunately Northern soul  venues are attracting non soul people. Ok everyone welcome. Not many places to go for a dance   But when talking to local event Dj’s they’re saying they have had requests from people for all sorts of records pop music Abba and the like. They have to tell them it’s a soul event not a wedding Disco 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, Wayoutgirl said:

Some of us can and will dance in heels when I wish to and sometimes in flats

Some of us women can actually dance regardless of the heel height we are wearing. Depends what mood I'm in. A couple at Brid actually thought the same as you and pre judged me on my heels  before I danced. Actually came down onto the floor and apologised even though I had no clue beforehand. Each to their own in my eyes. 👠😎 

yes, i can vouch for your very good dancing

• Thanks 1
Social source share

57 minutes ago, Soulman58 said:

This works for more and a decent tune.

Nastily overlaid track , the original sequence knocks that into a cocked hat , might not be "Norvern Soul"  enough for the blinkered souls on here but it's classy and no mistake ... :thumbsup:

Edited by Woodbutcher
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

On 04/02/2024 at 19:14, Soulfinger said:

Couples dancing together? It's the thin end of the iceberg. It'll lead to everyone sitting round in a circle in Carolina shag dance completion style. 

Great dancers at the right place at the right time. Cool tune anyone know what it is? Shazam no good on this one. Reminds me a bit of Al Green but it’s got to be Carolinas, surely?

Social source share

10 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Great dancers at the right place at the right time. Cool tune anyone know what it is? Shazam no good on this one. Reminds me a bit of Al Green but it’s got to be Carolinas, surely?

It is Al Green - Give It Everything from his Don't Look Back album. Shazam'll be being fooled because they've monkeyed around with the speed a bit.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

The Mrs & I frequent a couple of monthly ‘soul’ events where Norther, Motown and, as I call it, Pop Soul (wedding venue stuff) is played. The places are always well attended and I suppose the mix of tunes covers the masses. The Pop Soul sometimes fillls the floor with stiletto wearing dancers enjoying the music more than the Northern stuff. Why do we go? I’m more Northern, the wife more Motown and Pop Soul, so I suppose I’m ’Under Her (My) Thumb. And yeah you can tell the would be Strictly dancers.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 05/02/2024 at 23:44, Wayoutgirl said:

Some of us can and will dance in heels when I wish to and sometimes in flats

Some of us women can actually dance regardless of the heel height we are wearing. Depends what mood I'm in. A couple at Brid actually thought the same as you and pre judged me on my heels  before I danced. Actually came down onto the floor and apologised even though I had no clue beforehand. Each to their own in my eyes. 👠😎 

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but Backwards in High Heels  😄 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!