Great Soul Buying Moments

Went to our local weekend trash and treasure market today, like i do every weekend for the past 10 years in Sydney . I never find any decent 45,s usually but today was one of those special days

Nothing too great but considering the usual lack of finding much i picked up a mint Sandy Wynns - Touch of venus (aussie label) and Lou Rawls - see you when i get there ( aussie 45 )... put a nice skip in my step ... anyone out there had a good weekend picking up a bargain ? would love to know

kind regards

Pete Morgan

Social source share

• Replies 47
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Think I've done this one before but I found a Charisma Band 'Aint nothing like your love' for 50p at an Edinburgh car boot sale amongst some Slade 45s (what was I doing looking in this box?), the Metros RCA LP for £5 from a little Edinburgh record store, and Garnett Mimms UA LP for a quid in the Cancer Research shop! In the late 80s/early 90s a mate of mine got Tony Middleton (MGM) and Tommy Navarro (DeJac) for 20 cents each from the same little 50 box at a market in New Jersey - without knowing what TN was and just as it was going big, before the press.

Social source share

1999 reddington's,birmingham found a martha reeves - "no one there" for £3 already by then a monster tune - before that 1978 max millward's in wednesfield, found a stemmons express on karma, paid £8....big tune for ages then...fast forward 2010 j.m.'s auctioning it £400+....pity i dont still have that!!

rob.h

Social source share

1980 fathers angels uk demo mint, bloke said i'll have to charge you £4 for that as we have the usa copies (on the wall) @£3.75smile.gif

bobby hutton lp £2.99 oxfam a few years back

midnight keep on walking by 49p oxfam

Social source share

ideals - mighty lover - boogaloo

jay lyle - how good can it get - angel city

perfections - girl you better hurry - tricity

ronnie mccain - this time im gone - triode

lou johnson - unsatisfied - london

all mint , all for 50p each in 1995

runcorn charity shop 1995,

Social source share

paid about 50p each for the Martha Reeves and Lou Rawls, couldn't give them away when I sold my records years ago, how times change.

I also found a mint Oh Linda by Leroy Taylor for 30p in the same shop as those two.

Social source share

Best ever for me were early Internet buys about ten years ago.

Bernie Williams Ever Again totally mint silver demo.

5 bucks from Thursdays Records.

Let it go to Ady Potts via Pat Brady for a small Profit :hatsoff2:

Nathan Williams What Price on Lime 2 bucks.

Unfortunately it wasnt that much in demand then and I flogged it for 60 quid. :hatsoff2:

Kegsy

Social source share

Got a John Drevars Expression - The closer she gets - M.G. M. issue in mint condition, for 10P in the mid seventies from 'Eddies odds and ends' on Wellington road in Rhyl. Also an early Discatron for a couple of quid from the same shop.

Ricardo

Did you ever play the John Drevars on the Discatron ? . I used to go to that shop when i was at school at Blessed Edward Jones High school !

best

Pete Morgan

Edited by Pete Morgan
Social source share

Got a John Drevars Expression - The closer she gets - M.G. M. issue in mint condition, for 10P in the mid seventies from 'Eddies odds and ends' on Wellington road in Rhyl. Also an early Discatron for a couple of quid from the same shop.

Ricardo

Did you ever play the John Drevars on the Discatron ? . I used to go to that shop when i was at school at Blessed Edward Jones High school !

best

Pete Morgan

Blessed Teds, now there's a blast from my past! I'm from Ruthin (Brynhyfryd School) and we played your school in the final of the Clwyd Coast Cup as it was then (1987 ish). The final was played at your old school and your headmaster got the whole school out to watch. We thrahed you 8 - 0 in front of your school. Happy days :wave: . Sorry to go off topic but couldn't resist!

Talking of Wellington Rd in Rhyl, whatever happened to Rhyl Spin...

Rich

Edited by Rich Buckley
Social source share

Guest welshruss

56 Tamla Motown (Dutch,Spanish,and German) picture bag 45s for 20euro,s in a junk shop in dordrecht only 3 years ago....must have left about 200 there.Always said i,d go back but never have,

Social source share

Oh for the 70's again.

Barbera Mills UK demo at Holborn Record fair on the way back from St Ives, oh yeah 30p. Few months later Cajun Hart demo. Gospel Classics demo. Used to go to a deaker in South London a lot. Shane Martin, Jackie Day etc, regular as clockwork. Where's a tardis when you need one?

Social source share

1999 reddington's,birmingham found a martha reeves - "no one there" for £3 already by then a monster tune - before that 1978 max millward's in wednesfield, found a stemmons express on karma, paid £8....big tune for ages then...fast forward 2010 j.m.'s auctioning it £400+....pity i dont still have that!!

rob.h

talking of reddingtons. i was working at the bullring and in my dinner break in 2005 and thought i`d pop in for a browse. pulled this box out and in the middle of it was dee dee warwick worth every tear i cry mint uk with orig mercury sleeve and a uk polydor marva whitney this girls in love with you. no prices on them so i nervously took them to the counter. £5 for the pair so i made off pretty quick. just after found a multi colured way out jesse fisher `begginer` on doncaster market for £1.

dave

Social source share

reddingtons over the years has had 3 diferant locations, a lot of the stock came from local radio stations ie BRMB

it was allways a laugh getting records off them as they were "So called "" experts

they hadnt a clue on soul despite having a large stock

my fave find was a wailers rude boy ja blank must be worth a few quid

but ive had wall of sound,ray charles dr,frank wilson ps demos luther vandross epic demos plus lots more.

Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

Couple of years ago found Collete Kelly on Volt for £7 quid in a kent record shop. Then the bloke knocked £2 of the price. Nice!

Social source share

reddingtons over the years has had 3 diferant locations, a lot of the stock came from local radio stations ie BRMB

it was allways a laugh getting records off them as they were "So called "" experts

they hadnt a clue on soul despite having a large stock

my fave find was a wailers rude boy ja blank must be worth a few quid

but ive had wall of sound,ray charles dr,frank wilson ps demos luther vandross epic demos plus lots more.

think i was the only person to be barred from reddingtons,a so called soul mate told em i was buying records for pennies and flogging them for loads of pounds at some strange all night place (wigan),next time i went in the politely asked me to leave, so i went to the diskery on the bristol road and turned up 3 mint unplayed copys of kiki dee on a magic carpet ride on fontana for 30p eachlaugh.giflaugh.gif they say every cloud has a silver lining

Social source share

Unemployed, visit to job club, unaware, sat next to a local detroit soul collector, few had gone, but still had the following, at a fair price, all originals of course, sandi sheldon, most of the duo titles, phil int( U S ), golden flleece titles, variations, innovations, and lots of classic soul titles, selfish one etc.

Social source share

ha ha sheldon im laughing just imagining you being booted out ive had to keep my mouth shut in thereLOL

and the diskery well the owners there are so differant ! a REAL record shop i even get a coffee made there while i browse

most of my uk soul came from there but i did get a Darrell Banks on volt there

Social source share

ha ha sheldon im laughing just imagining you being booted out ive had to keep my mouth shut in thereLOL

and the diskery well the owners there are so differant ! a REAL record shop i even get a coffee made there while i browse

most of my uk soul came from there but i did get a Darrell Banks on volt there

still go in the diskery from time to time,he allways lets me in the backroom for a mooch but its been sucked dry there for years, ended up buying tmg501 supremes stop in the name of love and mike mcdonald/dereck and ray rca demo out of guilt cos id been in the back room for ages. charged me 15 quid for both. he who laughs last me thinksno.gif

Social source share

Mid eighties Warrington Parr Hall nighter.

Imaginations Strange Neighberhood demo

Sam Williams Love Slipped.... stone mint Tower demo

Ben Zine Village Of Tears real rare west coast label design demo

Alexander Patten A Lil Lovin Sometimes BRITISH red&white!!

Lou Ragland I Travel Alone Amy demo

All off one guy (Richard Shaw) from Congelton.

£95.00!! the lot.

Social source share

Probably the best thing I found was Jeanette White - Music A&M UK Demo for 10p on Birmingham Rag Market, and a Jon Ford - You Got Me .. for 15p from Bilston High Street - - - both in about '79 / '80

The Strangest thing I found was Arin Demain / Doni Burdick white boot on Absolute in a charity shop in Derby for 50p about '97 or '98 - - - why so strange ?? -- well, although I can't remember the exact date, I knew at the time it was a brand new release that very week.

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

https://northernsoulrecords.com

https://motownsound.co.uk

Social source share

Ricardo

best

Pete Morgan

Hi Pete,

Any record played on 'that thing' was ruined after a few plays. I sold the Discatron to Nick Lyde, and kept the John Drevars until it went big @ the 100 Club then sold it. Nick and I also got a lot more good records (and another Discatron but the later type) from Eddies, prior to his heart transplant. I wish the shop was still there.

Regards Ritchie. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

A few years ago myself and Guy Hennigan found ourselves in Birmingham and with out much hope popped in Reddintons for a browse.I found a Wall of Sound -Hang On - and on further digging Guy pulled out a load of Cleveland Wilson 45s.Going further back in time on my way with some old flame to the sea-side stopped at one of the market towns Lincs/Norfork way and pulled out a Jimmy Mc'Farland (it had just started being played) 35p was the price,on handing the record over to me the shop owner noticed a small split on the "run-in"and promtly chucked it in the bin "cant sell you that mate its cracked"so i said "can you give it me then"?"yes was the reply,sorted.I also got some other fair stuff but my memory fails me as to what they were.

Social source share

Mid eighties Warrington Parr Hall nighter.

Imaginations Strange Neighberhood demo

Sam Williams Love Slipped.... stone mint Tower demo

Ben Zine Village Of Tears real rare west coast label design demo

Alexander Patten A Lil Lovin Sometimes BRITISH red&white!!

Lou Ragland I Travel Alone Amy demo

All off one guy (Richard Shaw) from Congelton.

£95.00!! the lot.

i had some fantastic records off RICHARD SHAW ... OVER THE YEARS !!

Social source share

In San Francisco late 90's/early 00's an Yvonne Baker for $50 but overshadowed completely by the West Ham 1975 Cup Squad singing "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" on PYE - US DEMO!!!

Easily my rarest record - I'd never sell it :yes:

Social source share

a couple years back found a copy of The Sophisticates - I Really Hope You Do (Underground Sounds) for a quid at a reggae shop in Japan alongside Jackie Edwards - Keep on Running (Jamaican Wirl) also a quid.

That Sophisticates never comes up for sale. Was dead happy!

Social source share

went into Robs records Hurts yard Notts about 1988 he said just had a few Detroit things in a case up stairs got a full set of Groovesville inc. Melvin davis for a tennerthumbsup.gif

Youve just reminded Ted,a few years ago in Hurts yard again upstairs got two coppies of (then unknown)The Blue Jays-Points of View.They cost me 35p each.

Social source share

Youve just reminded Ted,a few years ago in Hurts yard again upstairs got two coppies of (then unknown)The Blue Jays-Points of View.They cost me 35p each.

One of my best finds was in a shop in Ferndale near Detroit.

I arrived full of beans at the shop, only to find Gilly, Tats and (I think) Rob Wigley happily paying for their purchases. I was a little disheartened but had a bit of a mooch anyway in the 25 cent bins full of records without sleeves. I found a right load of stuff in that bin including Danny Moore, which was at that time still riduclously rare. Sold it for over a grand - result!

Phil

Social source share

Went to our local weekend trash and treasure market today, like i do every weekend for the past 10 years in Sydney . I never find any decent 45,s usually but today was one of those special days

Nothing too great but considering the usual lack of finding much i picked up a mint Sandy Wynns - Touch of venus (aussie label) and Lou Rawls - see you when i get there ( aussie 45 )... put a nice skip in my step ... anyone out there had a good weekend picking up a bargain ? would love to know

kind regards

Pete Morgan

I've had two goodies in two weeks. Last week I found a nice copy of Arthur Conley ' Take a step in my direction' on Atlantic sitting in a local record shop. The next week I picked up Len Barry ' our love' on UK RCA. Both nice finds. Quite a few bits and pieces floating about the crates of Melbourne at the moment.

Social source share

One of my best finds was in a shop in Ferndale near Detroit.

I arrived full of beans at the shop, only to find Gilly, Tats and (I think) Rob Wigley happily paying for their purchases. I was a little disheartened but had a bit of a mooch anyway in the 25 cent bins full of records without sleeves. I found a right load of stuff in that bin including Danny Moore, which was at that time still riduclously rare. Sold it for over a grand - result!

Phil

Nice one Phil, I will get the blame for missing those cuz the sleeveless 25 cent bins were usually my responsibility, happy days tho !

Tats

Social source share

$20 for the Blue Jays - Point Of View from the USA quite a few years back. Sharnya

San Francisco 1999

Everything $2.99 and they let me off with the tax

Rudy Garcia-Sabrosito 3 copies (Latin record sung in English......anybody know it??)

Rhonda Davis-Can You Remember 5 copies

Melvin Allen-Hey Lonely Eyes (shit record sold to pay the air fare)

Nolan Porter-If I could Only Be Sure (2 demos with lyric sheet and publicity blurb)

Claude Huey-Why Would You Blow It (2 copies)

Concept 9-When

Benny Troy-I wanna Give You Tomorrow

Plus hundreds of run of the mill £10/20 records. Had one of those red Japanese players and gave the Mrs $100 to do some shopping. Spent a day there.

Later met Sugar Pie Desanto in the Mission district and saw a live gig (I was the only white person there with the Mrs). Great performer.

Went on to Las Vegas.........found nothing. One shop I went in I asked got any sixties soul...........yeah we had that Keb Dargee in the other week.Made my excuses and left.

Social source share

10 or 20p for my copy of Herby Brown on Blue Ash

Same shop same price for Tom - Emmanuel & Ron Experience ....................this was back in 80/81 so Herby must have been a new release

Gathered dust for 20/25 years & then took it out to play at the only 100% modern set I've ever played. No one took any notice of it so did it only become a good record when some top DJs started playing it & was discovered to be pretty rare ? :laugh: (only joking!)

Social source share

not a 50p find but was only about 5 years back on ebay........bought a cheapie cant even remember what it was..........the seller then sends me a list hes gonna put on ebay but i get first pick.....most were on pye/grapevine etc but i did get a 'our love will grow-showmen" and a vg++ 'crackin up over you-roy hamilton" for 6 quid each

was expecting the roy hamilton to be 2nd issue but nope not even a demo...a nice black issue !

dean

although probably the rarest was a canadian bootleg 'best of studio one vol4" reggae lp (later the trax were remixed on an official release "pirates choice" ) for 3 quid from a record shop !..but it wasnt in the book,obviously so he didnt know what he had...only ever heard of one other on an auction list back in the early 90s for 50+

Social source share

Nice one Phil, I will get the blame for missing those cuz the sleeveless 25 cent bins were usually my responsibility, happy days tho !

Tats

Sam's Jams. Great store.

Fond memories of great record finds.

Best Regards

Phil

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!