Poll: Bbc Culture Show - Northern Soul - Your Take ?

Mike

BBC2 Culture Show - Northern Soul  

1. 1. BBC2 Culture - Northern Soul - My rating ...

• five stars
    • four stars
    • three stars
    • two stars
    • one star

I think its happening mate :) a few venues are going back to old values of mixing things up , they may zaz it up calling it something else but its a return to old values of mixing tempos and styles .

The way to enhance knowledge in all things is to explore and be educated ..if you have to walk to another room especially if its up a flight of stairs in our case chuck :) its likely most won't make the effort of walking the corridor to it as other things keep them in the main area like your friends for example ...however if the pleasure/pain is in the same room ... its more likely the mind will broaden because it doesn't have much choice in the matter .... We will make you listen ! ...my next suggestion will be shackles and stocks  in rooms lol ....

I know what you mean about walking a few paces down a corridor to another room but I think you forget if people don't hear what they want all night they will be walking the few pace to the exit telling everyone who will listen that they won't be darkening the door of this venue again because it had the audacity to play something they don't like.........seen it happen.

So the venue would end up with you,me & 4 locals who are there for a late drink...........slightly over the top as usual but you get my drift? :thumbsup:

Or maybe we should just soul it up in someones front room every saturday night and drink their beer while we upset the children lol ....Betty has landed by the way and I have to yet to explore the many pictures I took of your records the other week when in a intoxicated state ! labels are a bit of a bbbbblur thanks to your copious hospitality  and double measures in Hull :)

This is something I've been advocating for awhile,a few mates,box of records each,case of beer,pizza & someone's front room.Proper night!!!

Another thing I would like to do/see is dj's swap boxes & see what other people play out there playbox.Only ever done it once & it was great fun.

Betty's one of the best tunes I've bought in awhile,it sounds brilliant out (you heard it at Empties & bet you can't remember :lol:)

Memories of crying out oh no not a modern set 13 years ago come to me ....but now I am changed I would quite like the variety. 

Yes it's been noted you're a bit of a Disco Diva these days :ohmy:

Milt Matthews best fiver you'll ever spend :wink: 

Notice how I do paragraphs for those people that cant face long messages lol all terms and conditions apply no money back guarantee on door tax:) white coat time 

Took me two hours to reply to such a long post :wicked:

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Here is a question for you ... do you think we will go full circle by 2020 ... everything in one room again !... headline room segregation has split/ruined the scene  :rofl:  personally I would welcome it  :thumbsup:

I thought people going 'Full circle' was the main reason for the controversy, well that and the baggy trousers :)

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Gave it a 4. As has been said 30 mins to cover the myriad of diversity (thats not the dance group btw) that is the Northern/Modern Soul Scene is never going to be enough and your simply not going to tick everyones boxes and keep all happy. FFS just look at the weekly rants that go on here, it anit going to happen. I got into Northern back in the late 70's and for me one of the biggest things, outside of the music obviously and the friendship etc, was the fact that as long as you loved the music who gave a f**k what you wore! I remember baggies and vests (me for a time) alongside circle skirts, rockabilly's (not Keb lol) skinheads, Mods, the odd Hippy (where is Sid Whitworth now?) soulboys and jazz funkers all in the same venue and none of us went up to the other to have a go about their sartorial elegance. All there for the SOUL!

The programme did very well in the time given and if it gets some new blood into the scene then great because we aren't that relevant anymore in the world of Spotify, MP3's and downloads etc. Thought Paul came across very well (loved him spinning in various locations across the world, nice touch) and Elaine was fantastic, summed up that feeling of euphoria on the dancefloor, that collective heartbeat brilliantly.

couldn't agree more, sick of the moan about clothing move on, I wore it in the past its not for me now but if there Happy leave it be!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

What rules and regulations? I don't know of any? The only thing myself and like minded mates prefer is not to hear the same old same every week. It is as Byrney says we are doing the same as what we did when we were in our youth, we have continued with what the very ethos of the scene was about and have no need or any desire to stay in Mr M's for 35 years.

As for unwelcoming, I don't know anyone who is unwelcoming....do you?

BUT when attending a venue that advertises plays something different and not the same old same who should do the embracing? If you I go somewhere you embrace what the promoter is promoting not the other way round.

As for few blood I think the scene has gone past the tipping point now and is in slow decline. There are simply not enough new and young blood coming through. It would need a large influx to sustain this scene and that ain't gonna happen.

Went to Download and they were playing Slipknot.!! The cheek of it.!! I asked for Timi Yuro and they threatened to throw me out.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

What rules and regulations? I don't know of any? The only thing myself and like minded mates prefer is not to hear the same old same every week. It is as Byrney says we are doing the same as what we did when we were in our youth, we have continued with what the very ethos of the scene was about and have no need or any desire to stay in Mr M's for 35 years.

BUT when attending a venue that advertises plays something different and not the same old same who should do the embracing? If you I go somewhere you embrace what the promoter is promoting not the other way round.

As for few blood I think the scene has gone past the tipping point now and is in slow decline. There are simply not enough new and young blood coming through. It would need a large influx to sustain this scene and that ain't gonna happen.

Chalks, you can pretend there's no rules or regs all you like, you've only got to speak to the majority of people on the scene to know different. Best we agree to disagree on this  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Do you know may have stumbled on Utopia .... Get an arts centre to let us book a hall to further the "soul culture" , then select from a number of Dj's who will play for free , invite people to the party and ask for a donation of 5.00 pounds a head to give the procedes to the art centre having made a deduction to pay the guy that supplys the exquipment. 

We bring our own beer and food ..... sorted :) everyone happy !

Social source share

Am I the only one , but when certain members post one thousand word replies... I never read them, surely a good functioning forum has to have members posting in short, sharp snappy replies !!

Ps the fancy dress soul scene deserves all it gets..

I know what you mean, and agree to a point - For me it depends who has written it / if it keeps my interest. Meaning, if 'someone' has written long posts and not kept my interest a few times, then I have that fact 'noted', whereas on the other hand, some posters I have 'noted' as always keeping my interest, and I look forward to what they have to say (no matter how long the post)

But yes where possible, I prefer 'short, sharp and snappy' (I don't like 'stating the ble*ding obvious' posts) :wink: 

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Chalks, you can pretend there's no rules or regs all you like, you've only got to speak to the majority of people on the scene to know different. Best we agree to disagree on this  :thumbsup:

I was asking you as it was you who mention there were rules and regulations Win. I'm aware of don't take your drinks on the dance-floor, respect your peers etc but that is simply common decency and good manners IMO not rules or regulations. The only rule we have at Lifeline is a no talc rule and that is from the management of the place.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I was asking you as it was you who mention there were rules and regulations Win. I'm aware of don't take your drinks on the dance-floor, respect your peers etc but that is simply common decency and good manners IMO not rules or regulations. The only rule we have at Lifeline is a no talc rule and that is from the management of the place.

This being a rule that is now enforced by numerous events  ( H & S )

• Helpful 1
Social source share

BUT when attending a venue that advertises and plays something different and not the same old same who should do the embracing? If you I go somewhere you embrace what the promoter is promoting not the other way round.

As for new blood I think the scene has gone past the tipping point now and is in slow decline. There are simply not enough new and young blood coming through. It would need a large influx to sustain this scene and that ain't gonna happen.

Come on Chalky get a grip man you have the BEST rare soul allnighter to promote :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I don't mean written rules and regs Chalk and I don't mean no talc bans, I'm all in favour of that :) I'm not talking about when someone visits a venue, very rarely have I seen anyone made unwelcome, or be made to feel like an outsider. It's within threads like this that the implications are read, when people read them and see themselves referred to as clowns, idiots etc, or have their dress sense, or record choices ridiculed, or more importantly their dedication to a northern scene questioned, that's when people start referring to the rules and regs set out by those who consider themselves northern soul royalty.

I'm not talking about you in the previous paragraph Chalky, I know how passionate you are about the music/and the scene, as I do a lot of the posters on here, but because a lot of the readers don't frequent the same venues as yourself for instance, the only way that they can reach conclusions is by reading what's written in front of them. A lot of the time posts can come across as a list of dos and don'ts which doesn't necessarily enamour the writer with the reader, especially as most of the readers are grown ups.

All I see when when above is talked about on here is opinions 99% of the time. If other wish to take that as rules then they have a problem. If their dress sense makes them uncomfortable when they are out and about then maybe someone has a point, it shouldn't do.

People can dress how ever they want as far as I am concerned. Those that do wish to dress bags, flairs etc are more than welcome at Lifeline and will be made to feel welcome, I would imagine the same goes for most other nighter promoters?

• Helpful 3
Social source share

This being a rule that is now enforced by numerous events  ( H & S )

It is a bloody good dancefloor the majority of the time at the Stables, no need for talc whatsoever. The reason the ban came in was some scruffy tw*ts were cleaning the talc from their shoes on the chairs. Fcuk me, it is a function room, weddings are held there and people are cleaning their shoes on the seating :/

• Helpful 1
Social source share

All I see when when above is talked about on here is opinions 99% of the time. If other wish to take that as rules then they have a problem. If their dress sense makes them uncomfortable when they are out and about then maybe someone has a point, it shouldn't do.

People can dress how ever they want as far as I am concerned. Those that do wish to dress bags, flairs etc are more than welcome at Lifeline and will be made to feel welcome, I would imagine the same goes for most other nighter promoters?

That's better Chalky - Aye Ted? :D 

See you on the 26th :wink: 

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Do you know may have stumbled on Utopia .... Get an arts centre to let us book a hall to further the "soul culture" , then select from a number of Dj's who will play for free , invite people to the party and ask for a donation of 5.00 pounds a head to give the procedes to the art centre having made a deduction to pay the guy that supplys the exquipment. 

If Damien Hirst is showing at the Arts centre - forget bringing any beef sandwiches. :lol: .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

.......Isn't that another Charity do? :D ........You'll never make 'everyone happy' I'm afraid Carms :wink: 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I know what you mean, and agree to a point - For me it depends who has written it / if it keeps my interest. Meaning, if 'someone' has written long posts and not kept my interest a few times, then I have that fact 'noted', whereas on the other hand, some posters I have 'noted' as always keeping my interest, and I look forward to what they have to say (no matter how long the post)

But yes where possible, I prefer 'short, sharp and snappy' (I don't like 'stating the ble*ding obvious' posts) :wink: 

All the best,

Bored.

LUV

SOOTY

X

@@

~

...X

Edited by SOOTY
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

As a relative "outsider" I have to agree with this. When I joined this site I was looking to get back into the scene, - get out more, start collecting records again. There are people on here that are very helpful, interesting and humourous. But there is also a hell of a lot of people who feel the need to tell others how things should be and what they should be doing. Ironically, one of the most concise Soul websites has turned me off the whole thing. I think i'll stick with my music and memories only. 

Hi Grayman 45...X When I was at your juncture...in 1993...there was no internet. Instead....I endured real people talking in little groups as 'overlords'...saying to their 'in crowd'...."who the fu** does he think he is....ain't been to Wigan or owt'.....oh.."and he plays sh*t tunes and knows nowt'...'we wos there....he wasn't'....and laughter/ridicule among 'old school' when I moved to re-open St Ives suggesting their sad singular approach was what the people wanted! In the real world.....I walked onto stages where the decks had been mullered to hinder my intro/start up when DJing....nobody has turned me pute off or messed with me keyboard.......! Oops!..Yes I been banned a couple of times and rightly so...my doing...!(Sorry Mike et al!!x)

Fortunately....none of them had the decency or bottle to say owt to my face....or indeed do owt about owt...except 'talk' among themselves in dark corners for the few hours they had the bottle to stay around......same as typing anonymously really! I however....heard all this 3rd hand about these moaners and groaners....and to date.......none of their then comment has outlasted my efforts...or others attitude and approach....or most of all....enjoyment...here...or in the real world!x

Bottom line is Grayman...they is 'not real'!!! I could say you don't exist either or your comment and justify it to meself for you and your comment to become an irrelevance too! If you said I was poo or summink....i'd delete you....bye bye! A kind of 'who r ya?' moment....before you went down the plug hole of cyber....and your existence in my life and influence....is gone! Not so easy to do that out there......hehe!!x All I know about you or any poster who posts 'anonymously' is....there is a man/woman/kid....whose typed their opinion.....which I choose to respond to or not! How can the written word written anonymously be significant...in here? We're not reading the Dead Sea scrolls or owt!!  If I knew you...as a friend...i;d say 'pull ureself together maaaan....FOOOOOOO****k ficticious comment made by anonymouses!'....but as I don't know you or what you are Grayman....i'll just say......foooooo***k them.......and get a life.......and the Soul scene has a superb Social one to offer.....if you want it!x Focus on the positive....and there is lots of it and those types around.....! The scene like all 'things'...it evolves. The 'hard core' were settled back in the early 90's and were sitting on the scenes potential back then. I and some dedicated excited folk showed them what could be.....with a smile! They squirmed....twisted.....and kicked their feet I assure you.....but I enjoy that reaction....on dance floors....but none of em went near it sadly....so....were irrelevant in the grand scale friend! Your choice who to be influenced by...not mine or anyone elses.....unless you let em....I reckon!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

...listen up all...this programme.....Butlins....comments such as Graymans....i;ve seen and heard before. When I arrived at Keele Xmas 1992.....there was a 'lid' on the scene at local and National levels....managed by the few....and followed by those who perhaps had forgotten what excitement was about and forgot what it was to many back in the day. Folk like me...Len...Shifty....and loads of 'unknowns' who weren't wanted to be known by those out there either......rallied these folk through their dedication...music and passion....rebelled by doing our own thing........and took that potential and excitement Nationwide. I saw them do it...I wos there. Upon reflection and with hindsight....it appears many have lived off that wave to date. Chris King and Ian Levine say that exactly 10 years ago....they came back on that wave. It seems the tides been out for a while again. Just as these folk 'mothered' it from Wiigan ending to the early 90's....perhaps some have become entrenched over the past 20 years again. Stagnation...leads to procrastination and poo. Well...wake up.....A Tsunami has just happened. Deal with it.......7,200 speaks louder than any individuals opinion I have to say. There is a demand for this scene and music. Those with the genuine interest in the scene will embrace them and 'share' your interests...both old...and new. It can be done with a smile....10/15 venues had that about them when I visited them in the 90's. I unified that potential...and we got together the best supported/luv'd A/N the scene had seen since St Ives in the 70's! It's there to do again....NATIONALLY. Those who don't take advantage of this new potential and wave of excitement..........may well be deleted.....by the majority!!! We couldn't do that back in the 90's....WOOOOHOOOO!!!!x

@@

~

MY signature tune and 'banner' we flew AND DID WOT IT SED ON THE LABEL...in the 90's.....and still relevant today......I reckon....X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojzmm5pg_xA

Social source share

...never ever ever claimed to be a music guru Dave did I......just a follower and supporter....of music...and people...X We had a craic init!x

LUV
SOOTY
X

....I learned loads from u too Dave!.......and yeah....we were like pigs in sh*t......and we lov'd it!!!hehe!x....!x

@@
~

Social source share

Actually Carms, there was something along a similar line round here, well Oldham way to be precise..

Back room of a boozer, decks set up, turn up stick yer name on a list to play a few for twenty minutes or so, discuss, dance swap buy sell have a beer or two.....quite enjoyable...

Unfortunately fell apart.

Social source share

Actually Carms, there was something along a similar line round here, well Oldham way to be precise..

Back room of a boozer, decks set up, turn up stick yer name on a list to play a few for twenty minutes or so, discuss, dance swap buy sell have a beer or two.....quite enjoyable...

Was that (the star inn ?) in Failsworth ?........went to one like that when I was over one time mid 90's

Social source share

These informal gatherings were quite popular about 15 years ago, I can recall at least 3 round our way, Bedford, Rushden and St Neots. People used to turn up with a box and play something different, but nobody ever danced as I remember. They then fizzled out, but I think there was one in St Neots a year or two ago.

Social source share

What a shame ... I think it needs to be in town for it to work well and have that bohemian underground feel to it :) Its very strange how do's in the city do so much better than those on the suburbs .. it could be that it attracts younger elements , not wishing to offend anyone.

Social source share

Hi Grayman 45...X When I was at your juncture...in 1993...

Wise words no doubt, and a  refreshing outlook from you mate. I take onboard your comments.  

Can't believe anyone would be so childish to tamper with decks before a set by the way.

Edited by Grayman45
Social source share

Wise words no doubt, and a  refreshing outlook from you mate. I take onboard your comments.  

Can't believe anyone would be so childish to tamper with decks before a set by the way.

Your welcome Grayman...X They weren't childish acts mate.......it was the best they could do as adults......which yeah........i'd expect more from a child really....at least a snowball or custard pie in the head or summink...! Wimps....get em everywhere!x They only did it a few times in the beginning...but then figured I made me own mess ups which the people luv'd anyway.....picked the arm up clean off the playng record in mid stomp at Blackburn once.....coulda heard a pin drop......we all cheered....and carried on! Happy days!!x

I used to kick off with this often to roust the people off their ars*s....and those who hid in corridors and behind curtains....ran....I assure you......we were off.....YEEEEHAAAAA!!!!x Keep on keeping on friend.....it's there to do!x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8KkuBG28Nk

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I wouldnt say it was a good dancelfloor chalky, it has some seriously hard, lumpy bits to dance on, most of it is ok. I would agree with you about the talc though, the floor is pretty slippy, its just the lumps!  

Social source share

Guest Krissii

There are a lot of people who attend both types of events. And enjoy both, especially in the north . There are a lot on the rarer scene who also have fun at the oldies/classics events.

I really do not think the oldies events are as bad as some people here are making them out to be

Social source share

Some of them are. I went to a do a few weeks ago...said Northern Soul,ovo etc. It was like a wedding. Needle in a haystack,build me up buttercup...get the picture? Husbands and wives sitting in their usual seats,halves for the ladies. I lasted an hour.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

People have got to remember, not everybody collects records or knows what is or isn't rare , I've got good freinds who love stuff I now (but didn't used to) hate to hear.

I've been fortunate to be there in the early days but that makes me no better than someone who has just come in to the scene and just likes the top 500 ? 'Cause at the time we did :wink:

Swifty :thumbsup:

Social source share

People have got to remember, not everybody collects records or knows what is or isn't rare , I've got good freinds who love stuff I now (but didn't used to) hate to hear.

I've been fortunate to be there in the early days but that makes me no better than someone who has just come in to the scene and just likes the top 500 ? 'Cause at the time we did :wink:

Yes but at the time they weren't the top 500...they were new to most of us when we were young.

Social source share

Yes but at the time they weren't the top 500...they were new to most of us when we were young.

I know what you're saying Chalky but they will be new to a lot of people that weren't there at the time .

Plus at the end of the day they're gonna run out of 60's dancers unless they enjoy the one's we did

• Helpful 2
Social source share

There are a lot of people who attend both types of events. And enjoy both, especially in the north . There are a lot on the rarer scene who also have fun at the oldies/classics events.

I really do not think the oldies events are as bad as some people here are making them out to be

I been to some quality oldies nights Ive also seen a few car crashe wedding like the one mentioned bellow you post, there is a variety of quality in oldies nights.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

It's interesting that it's always refered to as 'The Nostalgia Scene', yet I don't ever remember people stood around the Casino in 40 year old clothes waiting for messers Winstanley and Searling to play the same 20 records every hour. Very often a track would go from unknown - to floorfiller - to pressing plant - to being dropped from the playlist, all in a few weeks...... shame they couldn't be a little more 'Nostalgic' for that side of the scene. :(

You discover, break, play the records at the pace today and you've cracked it, That's  exactly why it's a nostalgia scene! :g:

Social source share

Guest Byrney

You discover, break, play the records at the pace today and you've cracked it, That's  exactly why it's a nostalgia scene! :g:

That scene is a nostalgia one because of many closed minds wanting the same 200 or so records mainly from their few years on the scene. Or perhaps that scene is open to the wealth of discovered, played, broke and now underplayed records that received plays between Dec 81 and now. I thought not, they struggle with Searlings post 78 playlist :)

As I've said before, Butch's mighty lovers C/U would clear most floors in my neck of the woods ( East Mids); one of the best Northern Soul records I've heard in decades - but it falls outside of that narrow comfort zone. This I cannot get my swede around.

Social source share