Bruce Springsteen does Frank Wilson, give me strength!

vince ayres

On 01/10/2022 at 01:54, Amsterdam Russ said:

Connie Clark sings dreadfully off key. No wonder it flopped. Great to dance to in an echoing hall a decade or more after it was recorded, but dirgy to listen to otherwise. 

Was there any need for this kind of depressing negativity, especially when it is off topic!

Also your very much wrong!

Connie Clark is a great record, always was and always will be to the people who were there in the golden years, and to those who appreciate great 100% Northern Soul!

Edited by Solidsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

48 minutes ago, Solidsoul said:

Your wrong, wrong, wrong!!

Connie Clark is a great record, always was and always will be to people who where there in the golden years and appreciate great 100% Northern Soul!

No, no no! 😉 As said, great to dance to at an event. But I don’t think it stands up to home listening. Each to their own, of course.

Social source share

22 minutes ago, Benji said:

This thread isn't about Connie Clark. Maybe we can go back to Mr. Springsteen and his takes on Soul songs from the 60s and 70s?

Has anyone heard any other tracks from the album?

:lol:

Of course it's not about Connie Clark - duh! That's just a minor side discussion/distraction - which happens on just about every thread of any length. And as no other tracks from Bruce's new album have been made public (a quick search online shows that), unsurprisingly no-one's heard them yet. Patience, patience... 

Social source share

14 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

:lol:

Of course it's not about Connie Clark - duh! That's just a minor side discussion/distraction - which happens on just about every thread of any length. And as no other tracks from Bruce's new album have been made public (a quick search online shows that), unsurprisingly no-one's heard them yet. Patience, patience... 

I think BenJi already put these up earlier....

track list:

https://eu.freep.com/story/entertainment/music/brian-mccollum/2022/09/29/bruce-springsteen-detroit-music-motown-album/69527278007/

'Only the Strong Survive' track list

1. "Only the Strong Survive"

2. "Soul Days" feat. Sam Moore

3. "Nightshift"

4. "Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)"

5. "The Sun Ain’t Gonna Shine Anymore"

6. "Turn Back the Hands of Time"

7. "When She Was My Girl"

8. "Hey, Western Union Man"

9. "I Wish It Would Rain"

10. "Don’t Play That Song"

and more..

Edited by Kenb
Social source share

On 29/09/2022 at 19:15, Solidsoul said:

With his short haircut and singing "Do I Love You" he could be turning into a Soulie!😀!!

Yes he maybe, but as a long time Springsteen fan (well 1976 ) and Northern from late 1972 , I think its a good cover, and if you listen to his early interviews, he pays tribute to the early blues/soul stuff as his inspiration for many of his great classics ..so all good for me.

Edited by Petesi
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

On 29/09/2022 at 19:39, Amsterdam Russ said:

I played it to my 'other half' and without hesitation she said Bruce Springsteen. She did think, though, that it lacked the enthusiastic gusto of FW's original.

Have to say, I think the arrangement has quite an authentic feel to it - unlike most modern-day classic Motown covers that have the drums way too high in the mix. On that basis, it might make for an interesting instrumental. :lol:

Did like the the arangement and the backing singers to be fair, but never cottoned to DILY even when it was by Eddie Foster.. 😄

• Up vote 1
Social source share

21 hours ago, 25miles said:

ATER SACKIN' SREVE WRIGHT BBC RAD2. NEW LEMON PLAYED IT AT 2PM........

SAYING "ORIGINAL WAS SUNG BY CONTOURS" :tumbleweed3:

Boils my blood when these so called professional D.J's get it so wrong. I remember someone on the radio several years back playing 'The Tide Is High' by kiddie popsters 'Atomic Kitten' and informing us that 'Blondie' did the original....🤬

Anyway I digress, I guess Springsteen doing a Motown cover is no different than all those 'blue-eyed' groups that did the same thing back in the 60's.It's OK but even the woman I work with, who is not a soulie at all, said his voice doesn't suit the groove. Great backing though. My missus likes it. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

14 minutes ago, Chalky said:

There are some articles of some wonderful soul releases on this site, old from the vaults and new releases, yet barely a mention on them.  Some cover by an over the hill pop star of a poppy overplayed record and you go crazy, 73 comments, probably more comments than for all the new proper soul releases altogether, releases that are more relevant to this site and its members. 

Spot on Chalky,it's about time the lid was put on this.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 02/10/2022 at 00:21, Benji said:

This thread isn't about Connie Clark. Maybe we can go back to Mr. Springsteen and his takes on Soul songs from the 60s and 70s?

Has anyone heard any other tracks from the album?

Released today , I think,  just listened and watched the video for" Nightshift" , a very big production and no doubt Ken Bruce's next record of the week .

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Mainstream journalism that is maybe a bit better than the regular 'junk' most dish out on such or THE subject likely due to Russ & Richard insights and respective 'egos' on the subject. Numbers of copies pressed are likely not that relevant. But how many copies are sitting hidden in secrecy in collections is.

The Guardian's use of the term "liberated" for what is actual stolen property is rather discomforting I find. An ambivalent approach to say the least. Or how to brag about it without being "in the clear" because it is all rather unclear like the dreaded Soussan character. Too much shadow in the picture ?

The dark side of NS. Then why no mention of the last 'pre-release' real deal copy discovery that got a re-release for the 'record's stores day' that likely got Bruce interest in the 'do I love you' phenomenon but with a Staseside tale ? A 'gap' in this "investigation" not so relevant to the UK mythology of it...

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Bruce Springfield has always spoken of his love for R&B/Soul music and the direct influence it had on his musical development. he has performed many old soul tracks in his live sets over the decades. I don't understand all the fuss surrounding this project. There would appear to be a lot of narrow mindedness and dare I say immaturity from the Springsteen fans and Soul fans alike. Many artists have undertaken similar projects at a later point in their careers. There just seems to be a lack of tolerance by so called fans who are determined to pigeon hole artists and keep them stuck in a silo. If by recording these tracks it makes a few more people seek out the originals then surely that should be welcomed? Every one of us had an entry point to the music we love. It's not where you start from, it's the journey that you take on the way to your destination! Now Do I Love You? Deed I Do!

On 03/10/2022 at 19:36, Modernsoulsucks said:

Bruce covers Lionel.

What's not to like !

Lionel had nothing to do with Nightshift!

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 30/09/2022 at 11:15, Geeselad said:

Well.he couldn't do a worse vocal than Frank, could he. Bruce is getting on but at least sings within his limitations and is in key, unlike Mr Wilson. 

I agree with you mate about Frank Wilson's vocal.

DILY is hardly a track that is unknown . It got a 45 release here in 1979 and according to discogs it's appeared on fifty plus compilations since it's (non) release. 

As for Springsteen's version it's pretty decent but then I like his voice. There's a Dobie Gray cover on the album which is really nice. Not everything works but karaoke it's not. More an enthusiatic labour of love. This is volume one so expect another volume soon. 

Social source share

Bruce isnt my cup of tea but i respect him as a top performer for what he does. in his defence he was a soul fan in his teens with his m8s and bought lots of 45,s and this album was conceived in lockdown as he wanted to do something totally different.

It shows his respect for the music as he highlighted on the Graham Norton show a few weeks back. I always believed the first Soul Demo turned up in Nottingham..(Rob Smiths ?) and discovered by DJ Jonathon way before searling or winstanley,but who knows?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!