Alan Pollard R.i.p

Julianb

Oh bloody hell, this is really really awful news but Alan after all his recently problems died suddenly last night.

For all of us who knew him, we will remember him for his unending love and affection for Judi and his family and his devotion to all things soul.

Sorry can't go on, really upset.

Julian

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Mark Holmes

Such sad news....our culture has lost a great friend.

Thoghts and condolences to Judi and family.

Rest in Peace Alan

Mark Holmes

Social source share

Very very sad news

knew Alan very well

used to buy records from me years ago

big man city fan- hope he knew they beat Arsenal last night

used to talk about the Alex with him

not talked really since he moved out of north west

a sad day--know he has been ill for years

known by lots of people

all at the greatstone etc......

truly sad

keith williams

Social source share

I'm deeply shocked and saddened by this terrible news.

Only really met and talked to Alan the once, but felt that he was a lovely genuine man.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Judi and his family and close friends.

R.I.P.

Kirsty x

Social source share

Oh bloody hell, this is really really awful news but Alan after all his recently problems died suddenly last night.

For all of us who knew him, we will remember him for his unending love and affection for Judi and his family and his devotion to all things soul.

Sorry can't go on, really upset.

Julian

RIP Alan .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Got the terrible terrible news early this morning, been wandering around in a daze ever since.Can't believe it really, we were hoping to see Alan and Judi up in Manchester over Christmas. A genuine, lovely man,generous with his knowledge and time, a true gent.

My deepest sympathy goes out to Judi and family, and to all of Alans friends, he will be greatly missed by many. Rest in peace mate.

Tony & Janet

Edited by Tony Jackson
Social source share

Heard the terrible news this morning and can't quite take it in yet. Me and Kev usually go to see if Alan is at the match but Cup Games are different and people are not in their own seats. We thought he would be somewhere in the crowd though as he's been so much better recently. Sadly he didn't make it but at least Man City did him proud last night.

Alan was one of the most respected people on the scene not just here but in the States and always put thought and passion into every set he did. He was a fantastic supporter of all the Charity Events put on by Angela Lambert and ourselves and will be greatly missed by everyone who knew him. I will cherish the nickname he gave me of Duracell when he and Judi invited me to stay at their caravan in Cleethorpes and made me feel so welcome.

Above all else he was a true family man and clearly loved nothing more than being with Judi, their children and grand children. Our thoughts are with them all at this very sad time.

R.I.P Alan The music you played touched an awful lot of souls.....

Linda, Kev and Ange xx

Social source share

I'm so sad at this news , I've only known Alan and his Wife Judi for a few years , but in that time have been proud to have known them for their love and warmth towards each other and everyone around them . Alan for his love and dedication towards anything Soulful , Judi for her strength in helping Alan as he hasn't been a well man for years .This is absolutely devastating news, RIP Alan and love to Judi and the family xx Eddie ...

Social source share

Alan was such a nice person with a fantastic love of Soul Music its always sad when someone we love passes away

its even harder when the person is someone like Alan ..Top Bloke Gone But Never Forgotten

Our thoughts and Prayers are with Judi and Family God Bless...

Ian & Jane

xxx

Social source share

There aint nothing as precious as life...

And there aint nothing as precious as the comments like we see here..

Sad news indeed.. Seen Alan out and about plenty times over the years and had the odd word... Not ever got to know him really but have heard many people talk about him with affection..

Always sad to hear news like this of a fellow lover of gods own music..

When you read a topic like this it makes me proud to be a part of something that can touch your heart and bring people together

Steve xx

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share

What a shocker.........have known Alan & Judy since the first Hitsville Weekender in the States. When I arrived at the DJ Villa, not knowing a soul really, Alan & Judy made me feel very welcome. Later when we were amusing each other playing tunes, he pulled out Motown acetate after Motown acetate, along with other fantastic sounds, was hoping to see them in Mojacar this year, but believe Alan was poorly.

I am truly shocked & we are all worst off for losing a true soul man & a genuinely nice guy...........you touched our soul's Big Man.

My thoughts go out to Judy & the rest of Alans family & friends at this sad time.

RIP

Russ

Social source share

Oh my word that's truly awful news. Didn't know Alan that closely but met him a few times and had some good conversations with him, both in person and 'virtually' and always without fail found him a very friendly, warm and welcoming bloke with a huge knowledge of soul music. What a sad, sad loss of a true gentleman.

Sincere condolences to all his family and close friends.

Rest in peace, Alan.

Roger

Social source share

Very sad news, only ever exchanged a couple of words on the one time I met him, but on that night almost everyone's comment about him was how nice a man he was and I think that has been repeated everytime he has come up in conversation since.

Really tragic news

Social source share

This is such sad news.....We were very lucky to get to know Alan quite well,as he moved to North wales a few years ago.....

He would visit our shop in Rhyl (Funkyfeet Records) & could be found at local record fairs, Health allowing.....

He & Judy managed to get to a couple of Soul-Nights here in North wales....I really wish he could of made a few more, as he really

was a true Gent in our "soul world".........

Best wishes go out to his Family & friends...... R.I.P. Mark & Chico.............

Social source share

So terribly sad; my fondest love and sincerest condolences to Judi and the rest of the Pollard family.

Even though we rarely saw much of Alan and Judi recently, they were wonderfully hospitable to us in the past, inviting us to stay - and Alan taking John to see their beloved Man City for the first time in years.

I can't explain this to John at the moment as he is still in critical care recovering from his recent brain hemorrhage and is too confused and unaware to understand. But I know he will be as sad as I am.

God Bless Judi - she has been the most incredibly strong person dealing with Alan's poor health in recent years and the most incredibly inspirational and supportive wife.

Ali

Social source share

Alan Pollard - All round 'Gud Bloke'.

Alan was the first guy to ask me about starting The Hitsville Soul Club. Our reasoning was that 'chinstokers' (of which were proud to be described), had started to get a bad name and we always felt that the music should be a thing that brought people together as opposed to making people more devisive, which we felt was happening. So...cut a long story short, we decided that we would invite other collectors who we knew enjoyed each others company, collected records and people who knew how to have a good time to join us. I'm proud to say that...that ethos blossomed and that was due in large part to Alan and other peoples committment, not just to the music but to the artists and each other.

At these sad times people who know me know my philosophy....I tend to concentrate on the positive legacy that people leave behind and in Alan's case that's easy to do. Music played a large part in Al's life and when I told him that the Harthon Trio were 'inbound' to Florida a few years ago and that we were gonna put them in a room with us for the afternoon for Q/A sessions, he didn't think he would make it. He wasn't well at all and he was devastated. Well guess what?.....His family rallied round him, Judi coaxed me into convincing,(bullying), him to make the trip, and his daughter came along to help Judi over the weekend. It was physically a difficult trip for Al. He'd just started to need a wheelchair and it hurt him. At one stage I was concerned that we'd done the wrong thing. But....as Alan and I placed the Harthon guys in a massive limousine, stuffed envelopes with some cash that we'd raised into their pockets and despatched them back to the airport for their Business Class flights home, having seen the unashamed glee on their faces at having their talents finally recognised by 'in the flesh' fans. Al's demeanour changed. His face was a picture. We'd finally done it. We'd enjoyed the company of a trio of guys who we'd admired as youngsters from afar and had actually become their friends! As we used to say to each other on a regular basis "Who'da thunk it!" Al's words as I pushed him back to the hotel coffee bar to reflect on the trip will sit with me for ever. "Dave...no doubt about it. That was the highlight of my soul musical life. We did a good thing!"

Well Al....I've done a lot of things in terms of my soul musical life and buddy, I'm with you....It really WAS the highlight of my musical life too! Partly because it was the Harthon guys but mainly because I got to share it all with people like you.

Al was the kinda guy that celebrated the fact that YOU had just found that long time want! He felt good for YOU! A true record collector with a passion for soul music of all descriptions.

It's a soul site and I'll stick to soul related memories in respect of Alan here, but if I had to some up my feelings for Alan Pollard, dedicated family man, hard working, straight talking, soul music lover, it would be this.....I was extremely proud to call him my friend.

Bet he's sifting though St Michaels' sales boxes as we speak! Keep the White Demos to one side for me Al! Rest easy Mucker.....it's over....sleep tight.....and CONGRATULATIONS ON A JOB EXTREMELY WELL DONE.

Edited by Dave Moore
Social source share

Alan Pollard - All round 'Gud Bloke'.

Alan was the first guy to ask me about starting The Hitsville Soul Club. Our reasoning was that 'chinstokers' (of which were proud to be described), had started to get a bad name and we always felt that the music should be a thing that brought people together as opposed to making people more devisive, which we felt was happening. So...cut a long story short, we decided that we would invite other collectors who we knew enjoyed each others company, collected records and people who knew how to have a good time to join us. I'm proud to say that...that ethos blossomed and that was due in a large part to Alan and other peoples committment, not just to the music but to the artists and each other.

At these sad times people who know me know my philosophy....I tend to concentrate on the positive legacy that people leave behind and in Alan's case that's easy to do. Music played a large part in Al's life and when I told him that the Harthon Trio were 'inbound' to Florida a few years ago and that we were gonna put them in a room with us for the afternoon for Q/A sessions, he didn't think he would make it. He wasn't well at all and he was devastated. Well guess what?.....His family rallied round him, Judi coaxed me into convincing,(bullying), him to make the trip, and his daughter came along to help Judi over the weekend. It was physically a difficult trip for Al. He'd just started to need a wheelchair and it hurt him. At one stage I was concerned that we'd done the wrong thing. But....as Alan and I placed the Harthon guys in a massive limousine, stuffed envelopes with some cash that we'd raised into their pockets and despatched them back to the airport for their Business Class flights home, having seen the unashamed glee on their faces at having their talents finally recognised by 'in the flesh' fans. Al's demeanour changed. His face was a picture. We'd finally done it. We'd enjoyed the company of a trio of guys who'd we'd admired as youngsters from afar and had actually become their friends! As we used to say to each other on a regular basis "Who'da thunk it!" Al's words as I pushed him back to the hotel coffee bar to reflect on the trip will sat with me for ever. "Dave...no doubt about it. That was the highlight of my soul musical life. We did a good thing!"

Well Al....I've done a lot of things in terms of my soul musical life and buddy, I'm with you....It really WAS the highlight of my musical life too! Partly because of it was the Harthon guys but mainly because I got to share it all with people like you.

Al was the kinda guy that celebrated the fact that YOU had just found all time want! He felt good for YOU! A true record collector with a passion for soul music of all descriptions.

It's a soul site and I'll stick to soul related memories in respect of Alan here, but if I had to some up my feelings for Alan Pollard, dedicated family man, hard working, straight talking, soul music lover, it would be this.....I was extremely proud to call him my friend.

Bet he's sifting though St Michaels' sales boxes as we speak! Keep the White Demos to one side for me Al! Rest easy Mucker.....it's over....sleep tight.....and CONGRATULATIONS ON A JOB EXTREMELY WELL DONE.

Superb post, dave, and a very fitting tribute to alan

Social source share

Sad, sad news indeed.

just reading through these post's, shows the loss to everyone who had the pleasure

of knowing Alan, a nicer more genuine guy, you will never meet.

thoughts go out to Judi and family at this very sad time.

The scene has not just lost someone we have lost a COLOSSUS.

RIP SOUL MAN.

MICK & MO XXX

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!