John Manship's Tease Auction

snooky

attachicon.gifmanship auction.jpg

I told you all of those wild guesses were hopeless and pathetic!

At least it was just a harmless game and you were all bidding on imaginary records with monopoly money.

Phil Dick had two houses on Park Lane and a red hotel on Bond Street...

He could have lost the lot !!!

:ohmy: 

Paul

Wouldn't matter Paul.

You got to speculate to accumulate :)

Social source share

I wont say it was all my own work cause I had help from a certain person KH

To paraphrase Yvonne Baker - -"I didn't say a word" :lol: .

Seriously,i've always been a little dubious about 60's coloured vinyl.Its doesn't look right to me.Can't imagine the decision making process.

Isn't there an Eddie Foster - I never knew - on a multi colored  IN.? 

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Yes you should have had Richard as a client and you would be sitting with a Professionals in your hand as we type!

Jock,on the basis that none of my clients are likely to be members on here or remotely interested in pieces of vinyl, I can say, without fear of reprisals, that none of the miserable f**kers that I deal with are ever likely to have been as generous as it would appear RS has been. And he's a near neighbour too!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

From the October 2003 Manifesto, in Dick Watt's own words...

After many abortive trips, I had convinced my ageing soul fanatic friend and erstwhile DJ, that he would be better concentrating on exclusive ’70s/’80s product.

The plan had been to display my “total” knowledge of unknown ’70s gained over many years lurching around the Mecca and in particular Mr Diamond’s box — not
his lunchbox, I hasten to add.

To my horror, I quickly realised that my target already had all the ’70s and ’80s rarities I had, but, even worse everything I didn’t have. For example, rather unfairly, the only item I didn’t have on Sound Gems was there hiding in a corner, Billy Harner’s “I Got it from Heaven”!

Despite this setback, I pressed on aware that my friend had temporarily lost interest in rare ’60s mainly as a result of continually being asked to play the same records at every venue he attended. I naturally sympathised with this, denounced all overplayed sounds, and at the same time put to one side, one or too that we agreed were not just overplayed but clearly could be classified as totally shagged out!

I was a little surprised to find that my “stash” included Al Williams, the Inspirations on Breakthrough, Professionals and four or five more of equal rarity. I drove North with one, Al Williams, but despite all sorts of pressure nothing else.

Now as any self respecting collector knows you have to strike while the iron is hot; sadly I failed badly, as within a week the rest of my stash had mysteriously vanished.
Smarting badly and with nothing better to exert pressure than the fact that the records had been “promised” to me, nevertheless another visit was planned. Undertakings were given — I  would cease being a pest but efforts would be made to find me a Professionals.

Fast forward to the late ’80s, when look what turns up unannounced free of charge.

Groove City 101, yes…Sound Inc C10045 in the dead wax, yes…The Professionals, yes…but the vinyl is GOLD!

And this isn’t some reincarnated pressing, as the dead wax details match my own copies of Gail Nevels and Gwen Owens.
I do know now who brought this particular item in to the UK but just how did this Northern classic get issued on gold vinyl – surely not advertising…answers to the Ed.

post-6606-0-37469200-1385740377_thumb.jp

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The mentality or should I say strategy of the bidder is different when a really rare record is on a well known auction opposed to someone hoping to snipe a relatively unknown record off ebay .

By which I mean ,the average collector always hopes to bag a rare record for a bargain or lesser price than it normally sells or books for ,so he pins his hopes on a late bid or snipe .

When a well publicised rarity turns up on eBay or Manship ,Brown ,Brady ,then it attracts the buyer with lots of spare cash and the guys are willing to out muscle the opposition in order to get the prize !

Putting in a big bid is a way of telling the average guy ,this ones out of your price range ,so don't bother bidding .

The fact people are putting bids in now ,is no surprise when the title suggest a one off ,big room record ,but at the end of the day ,its gonna go way past those bids ,so its not gonna come down to the early bidders having egg on their faces when they A) don't want it or B) can't afford to pay for it ,is it :)

Surely every week on JM's auction ,there are always the lower bids that drop out way short of the end price ,but they keep doing it ...nutters lol

Edited by Mister Fish
Social source share

"Book Prices"......what does this mean?

Do you have to refer to a hard document to find out what is after all a commodity in a fluid marketplace.

Does it mean that it can't be sold for less?

Who sets the "Book Prices".....the vendors of records......how many "Books" are there to refer to?

It would be odd if it were a monopoly, or even stranger if a duopoly!???

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Remarkable, the record was passed onto DW in the late 80s from RS who had previously got it from Robin in the early 90's, yet it's been in the same collection for 30+ years, which puts it before 1983 and around the time it was first discovered by someone else before Robin had it, so changing hands several times yet still remaining in the possession of one person and going back in time as well as forward simultaneously Or something.

The fact it managed to traverse time itself several times makes it a unique item for any budding H.G. Wells fan, i'm in and so is Professor Brian Cox!

;)

• Helpful 3
Social source share

That is a scan of a bootleg on yellow vinyl, 100% sure on that.

Just been on the phone with Adrian who used to co-run Strads & he can remember having a few of these Pointer Sisters & at least one copy of the Professionals plus various other things on different coloured wax Pete. He can even remember selling me my copy & vaguely remembers selling my mate the Professionals. My copy of the Pointer Sisters on yellow wax was a lot brighter than the copy in the scan. He also told me that the coloured vinyl things came from either Nottingham (possibly Record Haven?) if it was the late 70's or possibly even John Manship himself if it was the early 80's. Most likely Nottingham but JM visited their shop in Rotherham on some of his record selling jaunts & they (Strads) regularly bought off him.

The yellow PS is mentioned on the 2 threads on the links below.

Social source share

Like I suggested above - could well be a photoshop re-touch for the copy in the book (I would have done that).

Cheers

Richard

Yeah Rich you are probably right! I just wish Dickie had decided to sell a few years ago when I asked Him!! Doh!

Social source share

I suppose the next guessing game is to estimate by how much the Sandy Golden price beats The Professionals.

The toni ross will out shine the sandy golden and the professionals...sandy golden and professionals have had there day,time to shove over for some fresh unknown (to many) real deal rare northern soul!

Social source share

There's a Tonnettes on red vinyl, all those Bobby Patterson things on yellow vinyl, various coloured vinyl 60's bootlegs from P.A. including The Volumes, Blues Busters on red vinyl though thats Jamaican I think...

[

Pete, you referring to the Blues Busters "Ooh Baby" on BMN? My copies black vinyl

Cheers, Neil/quote]

Social source share

his is the very FIRST TIME this record has appeared on the w.w.web as an authentic vinyl-record - a goosepimple-inducing Northern Soul “tour de force” - do not pass by.

Havent read all 13 pages of this thread, But didn't Butch get his sandy golden from ebay>? there certainly was one some years ago, and I remember a comment 'I had to have it' as being something he had said about the win?

anybody?

mal

Social source share

his is the very FIRST TIME this record has appeared on the w.w.web as an authentic vinyl-record - a goosepimple-inducing Northern Soul “tour de force” - do not pass by.

Havent read all 13 pages of this thread, But didn't Butch get his sandy golden from ebay>? there certainly was one some years ago, and I remember a comment 'I had to have it' as being something he had said about the win?

anybody?

mal

Yes Butch won one on ebay, there has been at least two through ebay.

Social source share

It's not fit to lace the Professionals boots though!

Don't get me wrong,the professionals is in my top 5 best tunes ever,but the sandy golden is closer to bar music than soul,but the toni ross stands a chance of being a big sound on the northern scene in the future,especially if a couple more copys turn up.

Social source share

Don't get me wrong,the professionals is in my top 5 best tunes ever,but the sandy golden is closer to bar music than soul,but the toni ross stands a chance of being a big sound on the northern scene in the future,especially if a couple more copys turn up.

What do you mean by bar music?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

When I hear the sandy golden-you are my everything,the way she sings with the piano tinkling away,I imagine her stood at a piano in cabaret bar!

I agree I have the same feeling when I hear Kamello Brooks can see both of them in Shirley Bassey type sequined dresses in a cocktail bar smoking fag's from long cigarette holders with elbow lenth gloves on. OOPPS just knocked a grand off the Sandy Golden track.

Social source share

When I hear the sandy golden-you are my everything,the way she sings with the piano tinkling away,I imagine her stood at a piano in cabaret bar!

And what bit of that makes it not a soul record? From what I read lots of soul stars sung in bars, didn't make them bar singers or singing bar music to my knowledge.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

And what bit of that makes it not a soul record? From what I read lots of soul stars sung in bars, didn't make them bar singers or singing bar music to my knowledge.

Yes Jocko I can see where your coming from,I've actually not worded the sentence to how I meant it,its more a visual statement,the professionals and toni ross gives me the feeling of northern soul and dancing and spinning to them at a sweaty allnighter,the Sandy golden gives me a completely different image,but saying that,the reason I was drawn to and stayed with northern soul is because it's so varied,and I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up to it if I was offered one at the right money.

Social source share

I agree I have the same feeling when I hear Kamello Brooks can see both of them in Shirley Bassey type sequined dresses in a cocktail bar smoking fag's from long cigarette holders with elbow lenth gloves on. OOPPS just knocked a grand off the Sandy Golden track.

Bit off topic but I remember seeing an old Wheeltappers and Shunters episode from around '74 on Gold and it was David Dickensons wife (cabaret singer at the time), dressed in the above garb and doing a rendition of 'To The Ends Of The Earth'.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest trickbag

The 20 Grand was one of Detroit, Michigan's most famous night clubs. It was located at the intersection of 14th Street and Warren Avenue. It opened by Bill Kabbus and Marty Eisner in 1953. It was destroyed by fire in 1958, at which point it was transformed into a multiplex facility for black audiences.

The 20 Grand was a place where people could go to dance, and see live performances on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. There was also a club night for youths.

On the first floor of The 20 Grand there was a bowling alley and a fireside lounge that was used as a jazz room. On the upper floor there was a room called the Gold Room, which consist of a large banquet and a cabaret hall which could seat up to 1,200 people.

There was a studio inside The 20 Grand built for Ernie Durham, a famous Detroit radio personality. There was also the Driftwood Lounge which was located next to the Golden Room, which was where most of the performances and shows took place. The Supremes, Chuck Jackson, Parliament-Funkadelic, and Stevie Wonder performed there. Mick Jagger first saw B.B King perform here in 1964.

There was a motel located next door where couples would check in after a long night out at the club. The name of the motel was Twenty Grand Motel but it was not owned by the owner of The 20 Grand; it was owned by a man named Ed Wingate.

wish i could have been at this  cabaret bar.

ricky.

Social source share

Just my personal opinion, but I think Toni Ross is awful. Terrible record. Obvious why this is so rare.

BTW, I'm sure I'll win the lottery tomorrow so Professionals, Sandy Golden, Cautions and Jackey Beavers will be mine. Don't bother to bid.

Toni Ross one if those that sounds better out loud. The recording quality doesn't help though when listening at home. Great record I doubt most haven't heard out or even know it.

• Helpful 2
Social source share