Darrell Banks - Open The Door To Your Heart 2014 London

Guest nickw

Reached over 5 Grand already. If I had found this, it would have been sold before now. Sack load of cash and a Revilot copy, thank you very much!

With you on that Ian, it's a fabulous fabulous double sider & in fact the very first record I bought knowing it as Northern Soul on "Million Seller" records from Contempo way back in the day (too frightened to think of how many years ago :( ) Still have that same copy & never had an original :ohmy:

But I just can't get my head round someone paying at least 5k for that record. If I wanted to play it out I'd buy a Revilot copy. if it was something like the Parliaments My rainy day (off top of my head) yes totally understand but this .... :g: ?  Oh well I've never been a uk collector.....good job, also as others have said might not even go to a soulie .

Edited by SHSDave
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

My lovely condition, $10 pink Revilot is good 'nuf for me! Just had look on Wiki'-didn't realise Darrel passed on so young[only 32, in 1970]. Apparently he was credited with writing O.T.D.T.Y.H. on it's initial release, but a legal case was won by Donnie Elbert, who actually did pen the lyrics. Also, the song is legally called 'Walk Right On In', and reached a totally deserved #2 in the RnB charts. Sadly Mr Elbert is no longer with us either-wonder what they'd both make of all this....?

Edited by CARL D
Social source share

Seeing as the record is so important / valuable Manship should have at least got the song title correct in his listing.

I thought that too. Methinks he must have had a few red wines to get over the excitement of actually having it in his hands. I know I would. :wink:

Social source share

Seeing as the record is so important / valuable Manship should have at least got the song title correct in his listing.

Someone else has noticed this then!  And I don't think it applies to just this record.....you would think care would be taken with the write up's on records fetching a mint on auctions.....it just doesn't sit right.......a little like taking the p!ss!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Someone else has noticed this then!  And I don't think it applies to just this record.....you would think care would be taken with the write up's on records fetching a mint on auctions.....it just doesn't sit right.......a little like taking the p!ss!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Is it manship that actually writes all of the blurb in his listings ? :shhh:

Edited by SHSDave
Social source share

Think i'll bid 18 then George;-)

my guess is around 17k , only because thats what i,m preparing myself to go to.but then again..............you all know i like pristine condition !!!

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MBarrett

The auction got some national publicity this morning on the Danny Baker show on Radio 5.

DB was checking out the Manship auction page live on air.

He gave a really garbled explanation about the record to his co-presenter saying that it is the only copy of the record in the world, rather than the only copy of that issue.

If this link works for you you can hear it at 05:45.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04th2vq

Social source share

The auction got some national publicity this morning on the Danny Baker show on Radio 5.

DB was checking out the Manship auction page live on air.

He gave a really garbled explanation about the record to his co-presenter saying that it is the only copy of the record in the world, rather than the only copy of that issue.

If this link works for you you can hear it at 05:45.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04th2vq

Glad you heard it and pointed it out,   :thumbsup:  as soon as he comes on the radio I switch channels.    :lol:

Social source share

I reckon 18K, with what usually happens on JM auctions this should go through the roof

exactly right........anyone who thinks it's done and dusted, is fooling theirselves....there are some high rollers out there who haven't even entered the ring yet..the bidding has a lot more energy in it yet...i'm confident of that, basically because it's a global market....."another one" of these is pure pie in the sky,..what we see is a genuine gold plated, holy grail...one of the most breath taking revelations of many of our lifetimes...thought to be myth...the irony is, the guy who hoarded it, is deceased, but what a fascinating story that would have made in it's own right, totally unconnected as it is to the soul scene..the very fact there is a story to this record's existence, is enough to guarantee the realization of a staggering winning bid, and well deserved....proof of why our music endures, decades on.

i've already stuck my neck out with what i believe it will achieve....but the end game will ensure it reaches a world record price for a british release alone, even if it dosn't top frank wilson.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

With you on that Ian, it's a fabulous fabulous double sider & in fact the very first record I bought knowing it as Northern Soul on "Million Seller" records from Contempo way back in the day (too frightened to think of how many years ago :( ) Still have that same copy & never had an original :ohmy:

But I just can't get my head round someone paying at least 5k for that record. If I wanted to play it out I'd buy a Revilot copy. if it was something like The Parliaments' "My Rainy Day" (off top of my head) yes totally understand but this .... :g: ?  Oh well I've never been a uk collector.....good job, also as others have said might not even go to a soulie .

Did someone pay a fantastic amount for that Parliaments' record, only to find out that the Cabell group was from Louisville, KY, and had nothing to do with George Clinton?  I don't think the Cabell issues are so rare that that good but not great Soul record should be worth more than a couple hundred quid, at most.

Social source share

FWIW I hope it stays in the UK, it should be there.

Ha! Ha!  it would serve you Brits right if a billionaire Inuit from Greenland buys it, and never lets anyone see it again.  It belongs in The UK no more than Frank Wilson belongs in USA.  And don't tell me that The British are just "rescuing" the obscure Soul records from USA where no one appreciates them.  I've known collectors of African-American music in USA almost all my life, who were buying the rare records then, and have been all along.

Yes, I think it would be nicer if a Brit who liked that music from the time it was out and has been collecting ever since, gets it, but that should also be true for Americans having their rarest records.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Ha! Ha!  it would serve you Brits right if a billionaire Inuit from Greenland buys it, and never lets anyone see it again.  It belongs in The UK no more than Frank Wilson belongs in USA.  And don't tell me that The British are just "rescuing" the obscure Soul records from USA where no one appreciates them.  I've known collectors of African-American music in USA almost all my life, who were buying the rare records then, and have been all along.

Yes, I think it would be nicer if a Brit who liked that music from the time it was out and has been collecting ever since, gets it, but that should also be true for Americans having their rarest records.

Hi Robb. Possibly, if us "Brits" had not imported the vast quantity of singles in the early 70's then a large proportion of those may well have been destroyed,

surely the holders/stockists were glad to be rid of them!

Social source share

Robb thats a bit unfair, if it hadn't been for us in the UK the vast majority of this music would have been unheard, unrecognised and lost in the mists of time.

Fair enough, there might be some in the US who collect and love the records but surely in the grand scheme of things they are a small part of the world wide exposure that the music has had due to the Uk soul scene?

Social source share

hi rob, correct of course...always an opportunity for roll reversal and you guys have certainly done that in recent decades, after us from over here, came and started robbing you from over there, of your heritage!! :lol: ....there is a point of course to the discovering of the sounds, when they did....if, for instance, this process had not begun until say, 2 or 3 years later, mid seventies....the oil crisis would certainly have claimed them, with the distinct possibility that the hoard we garnered when we did, would not exist AT ALL. however, these records back then, were hung out to dry, unwanted goods, as has been stated down the years...and the pioneers from the u.k. came along, like good samaritans,..took pity and rescued them :thumbup:  :rolleyes: hey,...we're still buddy's, only now we ALL have that deep appreciation for what these artists, songwriters, musicians and producers gave in the quest to find a hit......the "misses" gave us this wonderful scene we have and that will endure and amaze people for years to come.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

When I used to collect British I found the biggest excitement was seeing them on demo format. The red & whites, green & whites, and those lovely rich yellow London demo's. Even now if I spot the flash of a big red 'A' in a sales box it sends a tingle down my back.

But then I came up against a problem, Jimmy Thomas on black Parlophone issue was rarer. So I replaced the lovely green & white with a boring black issue. Same again with Carl Douglas on United Artists, the green & white got kicked out for a black issue. The weird thing was those two issues started to spoil what the collection was all about, or at least what it was all about for me, so I swapped them back for demo's. I would guess it would only be people that collect or collected British that would get what I'm saying ?

Don't get me wrong, it's fascinating to see this Darrell Banks on an issue, like it was all those years ago when I first set eye on a Jimmy Thomas issue, but those London yellow demo's :face:  sure look pretty ! I'd better stop before I start collecting British again :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

When I used to collect British I found the biggest excitement was seeing them on demo format. The red & whites, green & whites, and those lovely rich yellow London demo's. Even now if I spot the flash of a big red 'A' in a sales box it sends a tingle down my back.

But then I came up against a problem, Jimmy Thomas on black Parlophone issue was rarer. So I replaced the lovely green & white with a boring black issue. Same again with Carl Douglas on United Artists, the green & white got kicked out for a black issue. The weird thing was those two issues started to spoil what the collection was all about, or at least what it was all about for me, so I swapped them back for demo's. I would guess it would only be people that collect or collected British that would get what I'm saying ?

Don't get me wrong, it's fascinating to see this Darrell Banks on an issue, like it was all those years ago when I first set eye on a Jimmy Thomas issue, but those London yellow demo's :face:  sure look pretty ! I'd better stop before I start collecting British again :lol:

ady, i think you should go for it,( it will save me a fortune ) get it home look at it and then email me to swop it for my mint demo , keep the demo collection intact.haha.....its in the blood  seeing those big letter A,s.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The weird thing was those two issues started to spoil what the collection was all about, or at least what it was all about for me, so I swapped them back for demo's. I would guess it would only be people that collect or collected British that would get what I'm saying ?

I get it...I'm the same for Japanese presses...love/prefer a WD...the press should also be better being the first ones from the stampers.

Of course then there's the other problem...the type-writer printed credits or the regular font promo...same for Darrell Banks on London, eh...or just have one of each and have a perfect trio!

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This article states that the Frank Wilson which was auctioned a few years ago went to a collector in Hull.  Was that common knowledge?  Didn't think the identity or location of the winner was ever publicized.   Remember at the time there was speculation that the winning bid was from Germany or the US. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This article states that the Frank Wilson which was auctioned a few years ago went to a collector in Hull.  Was that common knowledge?  Didn't think the identity or location of the winner was ever publicized.   Remember at the time there was speculation that the winning bid was from Germany or the US. 

Yes news to me, I thought Paul Weller had got it…. :thumbsup:

Social source share

It made a great ashtray :lol:

It was rumoured at the time but still haven't found anyone in the area admitting to owning it?

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Why doesn't this site post the latest threads first!  If I'd read to the end I'd have seen someone already reported on this!  Soz!  But then again, the BBC are full of repeats too.

Social source share

Why doesn't this site post the latest threads first!  If I'd read to the end I'd have seen someone already reported on this!  Soz!  But then again, the BBC are full of repeats too.

It does, you just have to click New Posts top right hand side, then you always see the newest first

Social source share

The whole matter has been reported in the Times newspaper as well, page 39.

Really good article too. Much better reading it in an original newspaper as well. Don't mind the online take but prefer to get my hands on the hard copy. Can't see anyone in Hull stumping up for Frank Wilson and pretty sure John would not disclose any details of any winning bidder.

Social source share

Hi Rob. I see the record staying in Britain where it will hopefully grace a top collection of British soul releases. That said, I also feel that we in Britain should continue to gather as many American soul releases as humanly possible, ideally for as little as possible, as the appreciation level over here greatly exceeds that in the USA.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!