Willie Tee - One More Chance'

Mal C

• 3 months later...

Perhaps he had a cold when he demo'd it ? :wicked:

Anyone care to run a book on which lookalike label it will miraculously begin to appear on :g:

Oh yes! just remembered didn't Willie perform  "One More Chance" when he did Cleethorpes or was it his daughter, it would good if someone had a video of the performance to compare , anyone ?

Dave

Edited by Louise
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

On ‎25‎/‎11‎/‎2015 at 13:00, Mal C said:

Richard Searling mentioned on his show Sunday, that Ian Levine has this acetate, he must have bought it somewhere so I guess its known, but Ive never heard it...

Well at least it doesn't sound like Steve Brookstein. :shhh:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

9 hours ago, Louise said:

Anyone care to run a book on which lookalike label it will miraculously begin to appear on :g:

Oh yes! just remembered didn't Willie perform  "One More Chance" when he did Cleethorpes or was it his daughter, it would good if someone had a video of the performance to compare , anyone ?

Dave

It was his niece I think he said so no vocal to compare on that one. Willie Tee demo, sounds nothing like him, should be retitled 'the man who cried wolf' ;)

Social source share

11 hours ago, Louise said:

If it is Willie Tee that is the mother of all colds Dave! :lol:

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

He is also playing a vocal to midnight brew.Sad really that someone is so delusional in thinking this is the way back to the top of the tree.Aint gonna happen.Now its him and his lucky find mate and binstanley taking the scene by storm together.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Hiya, not heard said track but do remember his daughter -niece singing it.  Also remember having a drink or few with the backing band who she sang with and they were  the  called the zoney metres, all young guys into funk etc. she was a good singer, all based in London and were keen to record tunes and didn't know much about the soul scene which we have spent all our lives on and were keen to know more. Last thing  I remember was can we join the band,  you know the crack.   Alco soul.  Good. Late Saturday afternoon at cleethorpes.  Cheers

Social source share

Maybe the answer is there ?  I dont know  but I remember meeting tammi  lavette at Blackpool  and being asked what would be a good stage name for her ??????    Personally I thought something like ' Aretha  Otis. Levi Wilson  Gordy Motown rarity  would  have been fine.   Hey  my mam called me pete.    Keep the fat ,   I do.  Cheers

Social source share

4 hours ago, Pga1 said:

Hiya, not heard said track

Go further up towards the start of the thread, third post in - someone has posted up Ian Levine's latest podcast. It is the 1st track on the podcast, after the preamble.

Social source share

6 hours ago, Russ Vickers said:

Do you think this latest set of dodgy records etc, is some attempt at a legacy, a last gasp at some kinda lasting notoriety...or just the usual attention seeking ???.

Russ

Makes you wonder how many more 'unissued' classics are waiting to be unleashed on us Russ....... :g: 

20 hours ago, Dave Rimmer said:

That's a very full production on what is purported to be a 'demo' for another singer !

Almost like it was recorded in a West London studio in the last few months? Karaoke Rare Soul???

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest randy

It does sound like an older  Jimmy Helms he would fit the bill London Beat etc. I quite like it the  backing track iis good very Similar to the Original but the backing singers just about kill this outing.

Social source share

10 minutes ago, randy said:

It does sound like an older  Jimmy Helms he would fit the bill London Beat etc. I quite like it the  backing track iis good very Similar to the Original but the backing singers just about kill this outing.

I reckon its a good bet that Volt had master tapes with several takes/mixes of the backing track, its probably one of those, plus with multi track recording its quite easy to remove the vocals/backing and bring up/tone down certain instruments etc.

Edited by Kegsy
Social source share

29 minutes ago, chalky said:

The backing singers alone sound so out of place.  They don't sound like part of the same recording, they are surely an after thought and not part of any original recording? 

Yeah agree, someone messing around again….sighs and shakes head. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There is deffo a bit of Tom Jones in there at the start. But hey from a simple music lovers point of view, like loads of you I love this song, and although I would not pay money for this, Margie is 100% enough for me!  I enjoyed listening to it... It was nice to hear that song in a different way...

You would never try to re create the flip would you, you simply cant beat the desperate "Never Can You Be"..... nor that dreadful surrealist painting...

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Can't answer all that for you Russ, but I think you have to accept, he is us, how could he not be... How ever you were or are involved, it never leaves you, that's what everybody has always said isn't it....

This is a bit out there, but think of him as s mirror, to all the things you love and hate about Soul... 

Edited by Mal C
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Russ Vickers said:

The ironic thing is, that Ian obviously has some talent for this kinda thing, I'm not a great fan of everything he has ever produced, but there are odd things I really like too, within context.

I cannot understand why he doesnt seek out a young Josh Stone, Duffy, Eli Paperboy Read, James Hunter type & do something contemporary, with a soul twist on them, he would be brilliant at that & possibly end up with a hit record on his hands, instead it seems he is obsessed with trying to get one over on the Rare Soul Scene ?, I really would think that he should be above all of that now, in the bigger picture we are minute, compared to the potential audience & earning power of going down the contemporary release route.

I'm puzzled as to why he always seems to come back to us in the end, when he could actually be a Louis Walsh type & be very successful at it too, with his producung talents, knowledge & connections he easily could have had a string of artists & hit records & even been on X Factor now........& I mean that seriously.

Russ

You mean like this Levine-created boy band?

Social source share

1 hour ago, Mal C said:

Can't answer all that for you Russ, but I think you have to accept, he is us, how could he not be... How ever you were or are involved, it never leaves you, that's what everybody has always said isn't it....

This is a bit out there, but think of him as s mirror, to all the things you love and hate about Soul... 

:g:

Social source share

If the Willie Tee track is a tailor-made it's probably IL's best attempt so far. Rather low-fi sound, weak mix, sounds like it could be a genuine demo. Even if a full orchestra is a bit odd for a demo. And apart from the facts that a) it doesn't sound like Willie Tee at all and b) the backing vocals are 100% Ian Levine style. That cheap echo effect is almost like his trademark.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, Russ Vickers said:

The ironic thing is, that Ian obviously has some talent for this kinda thing, I'm not a great fan of everything he has ever produced, but there are odd things I really like too, within context.

I cannot understand why he doesnt seek out a young Josh Stone, Duffy, Eli Paperboy Read, James Hunter type & do something contemporary, with a soul twist on them, he would be brilliant at that & possibly end up with a hit record on his hands, instead it seems he is obsessed with trying to get one over on the Rare Soul Scene ?, I really would think that he should be above all of that now, in the bigger picture we are minute, compared to the potential audience & earning power of going down the contemporary release route.

I'm puzzled as to why he always seems to come back to us in the end, when he could actually be a Louis Walsh type & be very successful at it too, with his producung talents, knowledge & connections he easily could have had a string of artists & hit records & even been on X Factor now........& I mean that seriously.

Russ

Great points Russ.

I hate the majority of Ian's productions which are usually rinky-dink pedestrian backing tracks. Every so often a beauty emerges like Barbara Pennington's "24 Hours A Day", James Wells' "Baby I'm Still The Same Man", Sydney Barnes' "Standing On Solid Ground", Gary The Master Blaster's "Cafe Regios" or David Ruffin's "Hurt The One You Love". I mean just listen to this......

The fact is that Ian can do the Pop stuff in his sleep. It doesn't really motivate him. It's much more of a challenge to him to try and replicate an authentic Northern Soul production, then to get a contemporary Pop hit. Strange but true.

Ian D :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!