Best live soul act you have seen?

Seen loads over the years. A stand out for me was Dee Dee Sharpe at Prestatyn around 2006 . Listened to her practice in the afternoon singing Deep Dark Secret. It stopped the place in its tracks. Still gives me goose bumps.

Aren't we lucky to know about and hear such things.....

Social source share

Top 10

Sam Dees - Jazz Cafe

Gladys Knight - Hammersmith Odeon

Bobby Womack - Hammersmith Odeon

Maze - Hammersmith Odeon 

Anita Baker - Hammersmith Odeon

Four Tops - Hammersmith Odeon

Phyllis Hyman - Dominion Theatre

O'Jays - Hammersmith Odeon

Luther Vandross - Wembley Arena

Chi-Lites - Reading Top Rank

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Gregory Porter at Hoochie Coochie - awesome

Earth Wind and Fire - Birmingham Hippodrome in 74 - stunning

Luther - Manchester Apollo 86 - brilliant

Bobby Womack Birmingham Odeon in 82 - powerful

Kool and the Gang - Barbarella's in 74/75 - life changing

But, the most memorable gig for me was Johnny Johnson and the Bandwagon at Rolleston Youth Club in around 72.  Never before or since seen such energy/noise/movement it was utterly spellbinding

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Philreeves said:

Gladys Knight & the Pips at East Ham Odeon 1969 ?.

Peabo Bryson  Hammersmith 1993?

Four Tops & The Spinners  Hull 1973

All of these were great value for money and cemented my love of soul music further.

Saw Tops/Spinners that year, top stuff.

Social source share

2 hours ago, Philreeves said:

Gladys Knight & the Pips at East Ham Odeon 1969 ?.

Peabo Bryson  Hammersmith 1993?

Four Tops & The Spinners  Hull 1973

All of these were great value for money and cemented my love of soul music further.

Hi, I was at that show in Hull as well, was it the ABC theatre?

Social source share

Dells @ Trentham Gardens "98 1st gig in Europe !

Saw them a year later in Oakland with The Emotions & Bloodstone in the beuatiful Paramount Theatre,

Plenty of gigs in the 80s when I lived in London, Bobby Womack (numerous) Gil Scott Heron(numerous)

Chuck Brown & The Soul Searchers @ Town and Country Club

Anita Bakers 1st gig (Songstress LP )

Jean Carn 

Phyliss Hyman

Marlena Shaw

Johnny "Guitar" Watson (3hours late @ a sold out T&C won the crowd over in minutes)

James Brown with Maceo & Fred Wesley

Waylo Revue with Otis Clay, Ann Peebles

Really enjoyed Rufus Thomas in his "hot pants" too !

Cheers Paul

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Jr Walker early 70's Manchester Apollo, even got a 5min chat with him after the gig in his dressing room and back to their hotel with the All-Stars later.  Jimmy Ruffin '73 started with 'What Becomes ...'  not a female dry eye by the end! well it was either the song or his skin tight all in one catsuit.  Four Tops twice again early 70's.   All these were superb live acts.  One that surprised me was George Michael (symphonica tour) Earls Court 2012, great voice with a full orchestra but not sure if I should admit I went.

Edited by Baldsoulie
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

35 minutes ago, Baldsoulie said:

Jr Walker early 70's Manchester Apollo, even got a 5min chat with him after the gig in his dressing room and back to their hotel with the All-Stars later.  Jimmy Ruffin '73 started with 'What Becomes ...'  not a female dry eye by the end! well it was either the song or his skin tight all in one catsuit.  Four Tops twice again early 70's.   All these were superb live acts.  One that surprised me was George Michael (symphonica tour) Earls Court 2012, great voice with a full orchestra but not sure if I should admit I went.

Your secrets safe on hear.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Northern wise  Chris Kings run of first time northern material with Snake Davis band with Popcorn Wylie and Eddie Holman. Both at Hinckley along with Junior Walker and Edwin Starr also at Hinckley were great too. Also a one off with Bunny Sigler/The Passadenas /Gwen Mcrae all on the same night at Peterborough Wirrina 1986ish.

I saw plenty of great non northern acts in the early mid 80s. Gerald Alston / David peaston/PhylissHyman/Roy Ayers/Will Downing. Most at Hammersmith.

Recently Nick Waterhouse.

Social source share

Rance Allen at the Stax Museum opening concert Memohis 2003

followed by

the Stax Volt UK tour at Manchester Palace 1967

James  Carr Utrecht 1990

Irma Thomas Colne 1992 (I’d seen her 8 times before this at various places and seen her more times since but this was absolutely the best I saw her- sublime)

Dells Trentham 1999

others too many to mention.

John

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Jamesh said:

Sounds of Blackness at Southport weekender were amazing. Terry Callier at Jazz Cafe but also saw him at another Southport weekender on the Sunday afternoon where only about 20 of us stayed to watch

I'd forgotten about Terry Caller at the Jazz Cafe, a great shout.  Possibly the nicest man ever to make music.

Social source share

Originals - Ritz Manchester (Richard's 50th).

Willie Tee - Cleggy Weekender.

Chris Clark / Tommy Good - Northampton Hotel.

Bobby Patterson - Fleetwood Weekender.

Roy Ayres - Dunstable California Ballroom.

Bobby Taylor / Carolyn Crawford - Birmingham Q Club.

Patti Austin - Blackpool Int Soul Fest.

( would loved to have seen Dee Dee Warwick / Deon Jackson - don't believe they ever made it to our shores ?)

Social source share

7 hours ago, Becket said:

Originals - Ritz Manchester (Richard's 50th).

Willie Tee - Cleggy Weekender.

Chris Clark / Tommy Good - Northampton Hotel.

Bobby Patterson - Fleetwood Weekender.

Roy Ayres - Dunstable California Ballroom.

Bobby Taylor / Carolyn Crawford - Birmingham Q Club.

Patti Austin - Blackpool Int Soul Fest.

( would loved to have seen Dee Dee Warwick / Deon Jackson - don't believe they ever made it to our shores ?)

Forgot about the originals, amazing, the whole room seemed to gasp, as one of the vocalists erupted onto song, never seen that at any concert before. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Lee Fields multiple times. Betty Harris, New Orleans, 2005 (her first comeback show besides one a few months earlier at a high school gymnasium). Howard Tate twice. Paul Sindab and John Ellison and the Masqueraders (separately) at Dig Deeper, NYC. Young Jessie. Allen Toussaint multiple times. G.C. Cameron. Tons more great performances, but these stand out as the ones that have moved me the most.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Saw Major Lance at the Top Rank in Doncaster, Must have been 73ish.

There hadn't been much publicity (none if honest) and not many more than about 40 people were in.

Sat talking to him for a while before he went on.

What a show he put on for those of us that had bothered to turn up. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

22 hours ago, markh55 said:

What a show he put on for those of us that had bothered to turn up. 

I had a similar experience in Liverpool late 70's I think, Wilson Picket supported by Phillip Mitchell, very sparse crowd but Mr Pickett sang his heart out. Don't know if I have persuaded myself this happened over the years but I recall he stopped singing until someone bought him a whiskey, anyone else there can confirm this. 

Social source share

22 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Hi

for me it was

Gene chandler -Stafford

Pop Corn Wylie -Hinkley

both fantastic live, popcorn did a fantastic version of Sam wards sister Lee

the place  was rocking

great times

ATB

Floyd

Ric Tic review at Hinckley  was also excellent, also saw Martha Reeves at Hinckley 

she was also very good back in those days, but then again we were all a lot younger then

as i said great days, great music great, people.

ATB

Floyd

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!