Articles: The Most Sought After Rare Northern

23 minutes ago, neckender said:

News/Article/Feature Highlight:

The Most Sought After Rare Northern.
This list contains what I consider the most sought after and rare original release Northern soul 45s at this point in time.
Read on...

Only got 80 of them so some way to go😁

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Can I offer a few to that list Mark? 

The Extremes - How I need Your Love / 4J

June Jackson - your Welcome  / Musette  

D.C Magnatones - Does She Love Me / D.C Magnatones (think the group is the label name?) 

the Shaddows - Together Again / United Audio 

the Fabulous Impacts - my baby / Bomb 💣 

Terrifics - I’ll get him back / Diamond Jim ( saw tempos but don’t think this one  was in) 

cheers

Mal 

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

A great list a few others I love

richard marks various tracks Speak now being the best ?

barbara hall 2 on tuska

fred knight on maxine

jimmy church peachtree

charles burns and jimmy Braswell on gene

• Up vote 1
Social source share

43 minutes ago, Andy Rix said:

Thanks Mark for posting a really interesting perspective ...  the context you provided for its compilation was thought provoking indeed ...  enjoyed reading through the list and probably like many others went " had that .. had that" .. but no longer

Andy

Hi Andy ,

If it's any small consolation the minty Carol Anderson on Whip that I prised from your grasp at the Embankment Club around '96 is still tucked away safe here (and still minty) ... :hatsoff2:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, neckender said:

Its not a list of the 'rarest of the rare'  Its a list of 'sought after' 45s.

Hi Mark ,

Good to see you not mentioning that little thing on D+W , I guess one punter continually pestering you about it doesn't qualify it for "sought after" status .. :lol:    :dash2:  :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Great article and mouthwatering list! 

My only challenge is this bit:

image.png.dd66ba402f183f6d9f3afe46997fa21a.png

..because the majority on the list seem to be records that were known / played / big in the 80s / 90s on the side of the scene I was involved in. That was 30+ years ago. So from my perspective, these are oldies, just a different generation's oldies.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, Gilly said:

About 45 and some in quantity, 25 + Toppers, 3 James Lately, 25 Cynthia on Big Hit, 2 Magnetics ill keep holding on, 5 Tomangoe's, 3 Sister Lees 

I'm a has been, i don't own hardly any of them now tough 

10 hours ago, neckender said:

Its not a list of the 'rarest of the rare'  Its a list of 'sought after' 45s.

Didn't see GEORGE LEMONS / ANTIQUES / GUITAR RAY / HAMILTON MOVEMENT on the list ? Also TYREE DAVIS (METROLINA SOUL, prob not well known enough)

Social source share

14 hours ago, Chalky said:

Excellent article, very good brief history of collecting and the appeal.  Some list too and hard to argue with any of those on the list.

It would make some nighter hearing that lot over 8 hours

A few off top that could be considered for inclusion, mainly on the rare side of the scene...

Defenders - Sermon (When I’m Down) (Possibly too obscure and not had any exposure really for some years?)

Helen Smith - The Pot Can’t Talk About The Kettle

Helen Smith - You Got To Do Your Share

Royal (Texas Slim) Bell - Sweet Little Girl

Sir Joe - Everyday

Sir Joe  - Nobody Beats My Love

Ravins - Your Love Is What I Want

Johnny Praye  - Can't Get Too Much 

King Cobras - Thank You Baby

What is this defenders tune chalky? Sound file anywhere?

Social source share

15 hours ago, Chalky said:

Excellent article, very good brief history of collecting and the appeal.  Some list too and hard to argue with any of those on the list.

It would make some nighter hearing that lot over 8 hours

A few off top that could be considered for inclusion, mainly on the rare side of the scene...

Defenders - Sermon (When I’m Down) (Possibly too obscure and not had any exposure really for some years?)

Helen Smith - The Pot Can’t Talk About The Kettle

Helen Smith - You Got To Do Your Share

Royal (Texas Slim) Bell - Sweet Little Girl

Sir Joe - Everyday

Sir Joe  - Nobody Beats My Love

Ravins - Your Love Is What I Want

Johnny Praye  - Can't Get Too Much 

King Cobras - Thank You Baby

Love the mention of The Defenders (out of the Big Don's Rebelion stable, Don Bennett) Brilliant Chalky

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Dobber said:

What is this defenders tune chalky? Sound file anywhere?

Saus has the only copy that I know of (in this country), one in the states I think that I was aware of.  Not to say there are not others mind.  It's the same as the Arter Set if memory serves but the two don't compare tbh.  It's far too fast for us old timers too.  

The Defenders - Sermon (When I'm Down) - Sama.mp3

• Up vote 2
Social source share

12 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Saus has the only copy that I know of (in this country), one in the states I think that I was aware of.  Not to say there are not others mind.  It's the same as the Arter Set if memory serves but the two don't compare tbh.  It's far too fast for us old timers too.  

The Defenders - Sermon (When I'm Down) - Sama.mp3 2.12 MB · 1 download

Cheers for the soundfile,not a bad tune that! 

Social source share

Thanks for posting Mark. Must have taken hours to compile it and type it up. I wouldn’t dispute any of records included - I would like to own them all but so far have only 60. I also enjoyed the write-up...are you thinking of doing a book on the subject?

Tim Brown’s  Record Collector article over 20 years ago and John Manship’s ‘Rarest Of The Rare’ book have addressed the the theme of rarity/value but your list is more comprehensive.

I would add a few more names on the basis of being sought after such as Little Joe Roman, Bill Bush, Johnny Maestro, James Fountain, Tommy Bush, Sherrys, Devotions, Gwen and Ray, Senator Jones etc possibly a few more on Okeh and Shrine.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Thanks for taking the time and using your extensive knowledge, to compile what's clearly a definitive list in summer '20.

I hope you're well and am looking forward to catching up with you on the other side of this. 

Social source share

Great article.  I will always welcome any alternate view to the usual Top 500 oldies list, because I'm interested in how things have changed.  I'll certainly be delving into Excel spreadsheet territory, to get a feel of how many I know/ I've heard played out over the past 10 years, and in comparison to other material already mentioned.  Anyone who currently owns 20+, I think they are doing exceptionally well under the circumstances!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!