HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A MEMBER ON HERE ???

Go to solution Solved by Mike,

I go back to 2006.  That's 16+ years.  I've been a member of Soulful Detroit Forum since 2 weeks of its beginning, near the beginning of 2001.  Rod Shard tipped me off about that one.  That was my first Soul music forum.  I was on another Northern Soul forum from 2003-2006.  That forum had the word, "Soul" in its title. But, I can't remember its entire name.  Some members here were on that one as well. And it was, of course, run by Brits.  When they folded in 2006, they direct their members to come to THIS forum; so that's how I got here.  I came over to that other Northern Soul Forum at the invitation of guitarist Bobby Eli, Ray Monette, Bob Babbitt, and some other SDFers, who said that that forum was good, too.  I've enjoyed the exchanging of information and great discussions over the years, here, and learned a lot.  I'll be active here until I become completely senile or pass on.  And I'm looking forward to the next 10 years of interesting threads and news about new discoveries of old Soul records, and getting to listen to high-quality '60s Soul that is new to my ears!  I can't believe that it's been exactly 50 years since I finished amassing probably 95% of my record collection.  🤪

Edited by Robbk
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

5 hours ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

I go back to about 2002/3, when it was more of a bulletin board, but when the new style site took over I think my account disappeared or some such, so had to rejoin in 2006. Never did find out what happened.

Mine says 2002 but sure I was a member before that, think there was some sort of reset?????

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Mine says 2004, which is when I was living in Australia.  I don't do Social Media any longer, Soul Source is it as far as making any view I have known...  I liked allot of the forums before soul source, KTF was allot of fun, I met allot of new people on there that have never come on here, but then I lived in London before moving to Oz, and the soul scene back then was allot more vibrant., and I had more money to spend on reecords! lol 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

19 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Mine says 2002 but sure I was a member before that, think there was some sort of reset?????

18 years here but I also seem to remember there was some sort of change, didnt we first work with an email based system ? Mike most probably will know. Also what happened to the other site "Rare Soul Talk" (?), was that before SS started or later ?   

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Mike said:

A quick potted history on the technical side, bear in mind that its Friday and as always behind with all sorts...

Started in 1997, as a normal static html based site

Round 1999 started using a  cms (content management system) , which brought in memberships, forum, news, event guide, galleries, comments and similar, as been said may be described more as a bbs them days,

The forum side evolved a bit using different forum systems, which had to tie in with the cms system and so led to different memberships setups and resets, the current membership setup in use today started 2002.

Think we lost some 300 odd accounts once due to a database error, plus of course there were many members who have lost emails and forgotten passwords etc etc  and we do now have non-active accounts (3 years closure. 4 years deleted) prune policy,

Rare soul talk email list - was started as a stand alone email list on here by myself using topica approx. 2000 ? then along with David Flynn and later others (inc Chalky and Dave) evolved into the separate 'rare soul talk' forum

Forum posts on here start from 2002, and are all viewable ( some in teh archive section)  most other stuff (97-2002) has been archived and there are some old 1997-2000 website bits in our articles section.

As said just jumping in with some technical/geek stuff, topic makes some interesting reading, so back to you all...

makes sense for a friday Mike

Social source share

2 hours ago, Mike said:

A quick potted history on the technical side, bear in mind that its Friday and as always behind with all sorts...

Round 1999 started using a  cms (content management system) , which brought in memberships, forum, news, event guide, galleries, comments and similar, as been said may be described more as a bbs them days,

The forum side evolved a bit using different forum systems, which had to tie in with the cms system and so led to different memberships setups and resets, the current membership setup in use today started 2002.

Think we lost some 300 odd accounts once due to a database error, plus of course there were many members who have lost emails and forgotten passwords etc etc  and we do now have non-active accounts (3 years closure. 4 years deleted) prune policy,

Rare soul talk email list - was started as a stand alone email list on here by myself using topica approx. 2000 ? then along with David Flynn and later others (inc Chalky and Dave) evolved into the separate 'rare soul talk' forum

Forum posts on here start from 2002, and are all viewable ( some in teh archive section)  most other stuff (97-2002) has been archived and there are some old 1997-2000 website bits in our articles section.

As said just jumping in with some technical/geek stuff, topic makes some interesting reading, so back to you all...

Knew I was here very early as I was on KTF (e-mail chat group) and then this began, Flynny gave me the nod.

Keep up the great work.  

• Up vote 2
Social source share

March 2004 for me.

Remember back then there was the SSCDT (Soul Source Champion Darts Team) an odd assortment of characters.  Who arranged a SSCDT alldayer in Derby (2005) which was a great day out.  A couple of them unfortunately no longer with us, Shute (Kev Johnson) and Pikey's Dog (Joe Dutton),  RIP.

Social source share

I feel like a bit of a light weight , only 2 & half years , but very late in purchasing my first Laptop ( about 3 months earlier ) never had the need for one , until I wanted to buy a record and my wife , who's Laptop I used to use occasionally, told me to #+#+  off and buy your own , so I did . Then came COVID and Lockdown and during Furlough I discovered SS , the rest is history as they say .

Been a blast , great for info, great for purchasing records and I wish she'd told me to #+#+ off years ago .

Edited by Happy Feet
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

My profile says I joined in 2004. But that's when I "re-joined". Can't remember when I actually joined the first time. I know I left the site for some time after an argument, but don't know if my account got deleted or not.

I was a member of one of the email lists since late 90s. Wasn't KTF. Was it Rare Soul Talk again? I remember KTF was more about the scene, Rare Soul Talk predominantly records.

@Mike: Weren't you based in Paderborn when you started the email list? Anyway, you've been doing such a great job for well over 2 decades, many thanks for this!

Social source share

14 hours ago, Benji said:

My profile says I joined in 2004. But that's when I "re-joined". Can't remember when I actually joined the first time. I know I left the site for some time after an argument, but don't know if my account got deleted or not.

I was a member of one of the email lists since late 90s. Wasn't KTF. Was it Rare Soul Talk again? I remember KTF was more about the scene, Rare Soul Talk predominantly records.

@Mike: Weren't you based in Paderborn when you started the email list? Anyway, you've been doing such a great job for well over 2 decades, many thanks for this!

@Benji the first couple of years when site started I was based in Hameln, then moved back to uk, the site itself (server wise) has  been based over the years in Germany, US, Canada and for last decade or so Uk

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 28/10/2022 at 10:40, Mike said:

Says 2004 on mine, but I changed email several times and was definately here in the early days, in fact I can remember meeting you at the old Uptown Down South events and you telling me about how you had plans to take what KTF had done and expand upon it and you most certainly did that, wonderful resource!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

59 minutes ago, Stephen Houghton said:

Can't remember how long the memory isn't what it was lol.

But excellent for news and info of soul doos ,keep it up ,never done Facebook but ss is excellent for us 

As Woodbutcher mentioned, hovering your computer mouse over your name brings up member details. But... that doesn't work if you're using a tablet or phone. 

Anyway, doing the hovering thing says you joined nearly seven years ago... :thumbup:

SH.thumb.png.616b1f822bf751fd7b63faae963e673f.png

Social source share

Mine says May 2006, making it only 16 and a half ish years, but before that I was on Rare Soul Forum, was that also Soul Talk?

Before that was Greg Tormo's email based list on Topica and Majordomo, around the mid 90's onwards which contained many people whom I'm still in touch with today.

Doesn't time fly!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!